Rice,use of,in lager

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want to make Fosters you don't need Rice, The commercial recipe does not have any in it.

It is just lager malt mashed at 66 for 35-40mins, and Sugar, can't tell you what the hops are as they are a pre blended pellet, as are most commercial beers, & i don't Know the lager yeast strain (the most important element), But there is definitely NO RICE IN FOSTERS.

UP

Thanks Uncle , and Rob , too (as usual!) ....yup , I know theres no rice used in the commercial brewing of fosters but I was following Dave Lines thinking , that is , to achieve something similar with the means available to me .

Now bear in mind that I am recently returned to brewing and the equipment , ingredients , recipes and skills available to the home brewer are a different order of magnitude to what I am used to - I am catching up but it will take me a while , so go easy on me ! :pray:

Going back to the beginning of this thread I was asking about the hows and whys of using rice as suggested in my old books . That has been most fully explained by several of the more experienced brewers here to the extent that I am now holding off on the rice for the full mash brews I have coming up .

I do not need to make an exact copy of anything ,fosters or any other brand . It is merely that the person I am brewing this for stated "Fosters or Carlsberg" as examples of the kind of beers that he prefers to drink to give me an indication of his tastes .

My thanks to everyone who has taken the time to help and comment , I have learned a great deal and been able to re-assess my techniques and goals because of them .

Me , I just like a pint of Bass . Well .....when I say just....... :party: :cheers:

Funnily enough , after not being able to find ANY flaked rice locally , today Tesco called me to say there was some coming in on Dec 1st , one local wholefood shop sold me two bags and another had ordered a 3kg bag for me - from famine to feast . If flaked rice can be a feast .

Another reason I am keen to get some is to combine several needs in one brew . Among the said needs being the euro-fizz lager taste for the landlord , Capt. Pugwash , and to use up my two remaining cans of edme diastatic malt extract before they explode . The best before was over 5 ,yes five , years ago and they show signs of bursting the crimped ends off the tins . I paid good money for those two tins and if I throw them away the waste will haunt me and keep me awake at nights .

Back