Glucose Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Was speaking to an old farmer bot t'otehr day and mentioned ber and he got all glassy eyed over his faourite all time tipple "Glucose stout" which of course was a popular beverage in nineteen forty frozentodeath . The idea of such a beast intrigues me and I cant find too many references to this ont'interweb.
Im thinking something along the lines of Genius or Tard but with a proportion of the recipe being brewers Sugar which after all is glucose.
Any ideas about proportions etc Would be worth a first try
I think this wold be a thin but slightly sweet stout.

Point me in the right direction o guru's of the ale

As glucose is totally fermentable unlike say lactose, I don't think it would finish sweet.
How about,

23 litres OG 1.048 estimated abv 4.8 % @ 75% efficiency
3.5 kg pale malt
750g flaked barley
500g black malt
250g chocolate malt
90 minute mash at 66C

75g fuggles 4% aa 90 minute boil (or your favourite hops to give 32/33 IBU's)
500g glucose dissolved in 1 litre of wort added half way through the boil

I like to use a combination of black and chocolate malt in this type of stout as I think it gives a "smoother" flavour compared to roast barley.
The relatively low hop rate should also give an impression of more sweetness.
I also guestimate that this should finish with a gravity of 1.012 is so it shouldn't be thin ;)

tubby_shaw said:
As glucose is totally fermentable unlike say lactose, I don't think it would finish sweet.
How about,

23 litres OG 1.048 estimated abv 4.8 % @ 75% efficiency
3.5 kg pale malt
750g flaked barley
500g black malt
250g chocolate malt
90 minute mash at 66C

75g fuggles 4% aa 90 minute boil (or your favourite hops to give 32/33 IBU's)
500g glucose dissolved in 1 litre of wort added half way through the boil

I like to use a combination of black and chocolate malt in this type of stout as I think it gives a "smoother" flavour compared to roast barley.
The relatively low hop rate should also give an impression of more sweetness.
I also guestimate that this should finish with a gravity of 1.012 is so it shouldn't be thin ;)
Hmmm I do like the look of this. Thanks TS

Latest posts

Back