yeast starter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul8080

Reaction score
hi all need some help on making and pitching yeast starter will be using wyeast larger smack pack will be making a larger so i was wondering would i need to cool my starter to pitching temp for brewing at cool temp if so would i need to do this over a few days or just make the starter and put it in the fridge as soon as its made thanks all

Hi Paul How much are you brewing? a smack pack should have a population of 100 billion yeasts.

to use a smack pack remove it from the fridge the night before and let it warm to room temp slowly, and about 3-4 hours before you want to use it activate it by popping the inner bag.

clean and sanitise the pack before cutting and pouring out the contents when its swelled.

if older than optimum or u want a bigger population then you can make a starter, 100g of dme per litre will give u a liquor of 1040. if no dme sucrose will do. glass conical flasks u can sit on a gas flame are the best vessels for starters, easy to boil and sanitise with heat ;) tho pet bottles work for me too
to make the starter if you need one mix up your liquor and sanitise it sanitise the pet bottle if thats what your using and when cool enough add the yeast to the liquor cap with sanitised foil and give it a gentle swirl before sitting in a spot to incubate. give it a swirl when ever u walk past..

*** EDIT U canna sanatise pet with heat only chemically.

when the liquor is spent you can keep in the fridge till u need it.

when using pour off the spent liquor and discard before pitching in your beer.
you dont want to pitch the volume of spent liquor just the yeast ;)

thanks for that fil i will be brewing a 25 litre larger brew i was also wanting to know would i need to cool my starter down and my brew to my fermentation temp and pitch or would i need to pitch the starter at room temp and gradually cool the brew over a couple of days this is the first larger i will be brewing at this temp thanks for the feed back :grin:

thanks for that fil i will be brewing a 25 litre larger brew i was also wanting to know would i need to cool my starter down and my brew to my fermentation temp and pitch or would i need to pitch the starter at room temp and gradually cool the brew over a couple of days this is the first larger i will be brewing at this temp thanks for the feed back :grin:

i would prep the starter in advance, the pop it in the fridge to settle n chill, decanting the spent liquor off the yeast before pitching it beer at the optimum fermentation temp. if not from the fridge i woud chill the starter down so when added to the beer its not gonna suffer a huge drop in temp instantly as that cld shock it.

Latest posts

Back