Oats

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoosterBrew

Reaction score
Hi guys, here in the UK we can buy oats from home brew stores, some sell unmalted oats and some sell malted oats. Is it the malted oats that are good to go straight in the mash without cooking first.
I had a look on the net but they seem to talk about rolled or flaked oats which is not much help, here its malted or unmalted.
Also this may seem a daft question but are porridge oats the same as malted or unmalted oats ( suitable for brewing ).

I've not used oats myself, but they are generally added in such small quantities to a Stout that it probably makes no practical difference whether they are malted or not, nor whether they are rolled or flaked.

Porridge oats will do just as well added to the mash.

Ok thank you for moving this post. The answers to you post have helped I will use porridge oats.

I've not used oats myself, but they are generally added in such small quantities to a Stout that it probably makes no practical difference whether they are malted or not, nor whether they are rolled or flaked.

Porridge oats will do just as well added to the mash.

I have seen as much as 700 grams added to a recipe in an oatmeal stout..

A few weeks ago I did the DIYDog Dogma recipe, which called for 1kg of flaked oats. All the info I found was also conflicting, but I ended up using malted oats from the Malt Miller, and from the trial jar it tasted lush.

Latest posts

Back