Loads of Sediment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarryM

Reaction score
I've got some Festival Razorback in the FV and it's moving along nicely. Been in the FV for 16 days and down to 1007, so not expecting much more fermentation. The extra hops went in about 5 days ago in a largish cloth hop bag (not the little one supplied in the kit).

When I take a sample (admittedly from a tap near the bottom) there's a lot of sediment in it. So much so, that if I leave the hydrometer in the glass jar for an hour or two, not only do I get a millimetre of sediment on the bottom of the jar, but I also get a reasonable deposit on the hydrometer itself - enough to give a false/different reading.

I've read about cold crashing and if I understand correctly it involves getting the temp quickly down for a couple of days and hopefully causing some of the sediment to drop out before bottling. Sorry to appear stupid, but does this drop in temp kill the yeast and therefore extra yeast is needed for the bottling and carbonisation?

This is by far the most sediment I've seen in any of the kits I've brewed.

Can anybody provide any tips on reducing the sediment amount before bottling please?

Thanks in advance,
Warren

Cold crashing is the solution. It won't kill the yeast, there will be enough still in solution, even if you can't see it.

If you have a spare FV, rack it into that and leave for 30 mins to let any small amount of sediment transfered over settle , before bottling and you'll have very little sediment in the bottles

Hi!
I agree with MyQul. I've never had any problems with carbonation following cold crashing.

[She was only the brewer's daughter, but she knew what Ceddy meant.]

Thanks all. Glad to hear my worries about needing extra yeast were unfounded. The FV it is currently in has the special tap for the bottling wand on it. I'll cold crash in there, then siphon into my spare FV (no tap), then back into original FV after a wash out and batch prime before bottling. I normally pop the sugar in each bottle and come straight out of the FV, but this sounds like it will take a little longer but be less fiddly - a happy trade off.
Will report back on the Razorback thread once the first bottle gets sampled.

Latest posts

Back