Auto Syphon

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old_Bob

Reaction score
Has anyone had any problems with these devices sucking air into the brew whilst it's being syphoned ?

The reason for the question is today a transferred by brew from the FV to a King Keg TT pressure barrel and I had a problem with lots of air coming through the Auto Syphon.

The beer was a Festival Father Hooks and you are provided a mesh bag to go over the end of the syphon to prevent hops from blocking the tube. I'm not so sure if this caused the air to be sucked in to the Auto syphon body.

I have tested the auto syphon again with just water and no bag and it worked as expected.

Having a bit of a disaster with this one as the tube heater in the fridge failed earlier this week as well.

Has anyone had any problems with these devices sucking air into the brew whilst it's being syphoned ?

The reason for the question is today a transferred by brew from the FV to a King Keg TT pressure barrel and I had a problem with lots of air coming through the Auto Syphon.

The beer was a Festival Father Hooks and you are provided a mesh bag to go over the end of the syphon to prevent hops from blocking the tube. I'm not so sure if this caused the air to be sucked in to the Auto syphon body.

I have tried to tested the auto syphon again with just water and no bag and it worked as expected.

Having a bit of a disaster with this one as the tube heater in the fridge failed earlier this week as well.

I've always found using a muslin bag on an auto syphon to cause problems. I filter at the other end

I've found that a bag on the outlet works fine, unless you suck up so much trub that the bag fills up completely (I use a little nylon bag that's about as big as a glasses case). A bag on the inlet was a disaster the one time I tried it. Syphon just wouldn't work, and ended up making everything a big bubbly/airy mess as I ended up pumping nearly the whole 20L.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put some beer down the inner tube of the syphon this will make a seal and stop the air.

Cheers

Clint

That was my thought as well, however it's possible that the beer could be sucked through as well. Keep topping up the auto syphon would quickly prove to be a pain for me.

Thanks for the idea though.

Thanks to all for their replies, pleased to hear it's not just me........

Think I won't be using the auto syphon on my next festival brew.

Oh did any of you suffer from oxidation as a result of this ?

Just get a muslin bag to put the hops in or wait for them to drop out..

Honestly I never put anything over the end of the syphon at either end never need too and teh transfer is straight forward. putting a bag over always causes problems I find

Won't that block the tubing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It can be made to work but is a faff, and it doesn't mix up with the priming solution as well as without one so a gentle stir is required, although I co2 purge my bb so that's less of a worry for me.

Alternatively put the hops in a sterilised bag - I use a paint strainer bag which is reusable but again a faff to clean. However it minimises too much faffing with the beer whilst the lid is off the fv.

HOPS = FAFF no getting away from it, but worth it :grin:

Latest posts

Back