another point in the right direction requested

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewStew

Regular.
Reaction score
has anyone come across those soft drinks dispensers that looks like shower heads going cheap/second hand?

i've scoured ebay and google and can only find commercial suppliers with big prices :(

i was thinking of putting a cornie back to it's original use as a syrup container ;)

edit- that looks like a commercial, expensive link...

These are fiddly bits of kit in my experience.

They don't actually mix the syrup and the water until it gets to the nozzle so if you're using a Cornelius Keg you'd have to have it pressurised with tap water and then the gun itself connected up to the boxes of postmix. There is a regulator that is usually fixed to the underside of the bar which controls the flow of the unmixed syrup and regulates the quantities for mixing. You'd need a managment board for the different syrups (coca-cola,diet coke,tonic etc) to push them through the gun and mix with the water.

All service and maintenance of these things is done by Coca-Cola themselves and they send a man round in full Coca-Cola kit to have a butchers at your gun if you knacker it. He does odd little tests for colour and taste until he's satisfied it's regulated the Coke way. They are expensive but most Bars and Pubs get them free of charge on the obvious stipulation they dispense Coca-Cola products. They almost always remain the property of the Coca-Cola company so unless someone has bought one from the Company then chances are it's a little suspect.

Easiest thing to do would be to mix the syrups and water into a Cornelius keg and run this through your cooler and out of a beer font on your bar or similar. I never experienced the commercial use of Cornelius Kegs but I'm guessing it was a similar use to this. Alternatively buy glass bottles!

wow thanks for the super informative response arturobandini :thumb:

i'm beginning to have second thoughts on this now after that :?

i'll give norman an email and see if he's got anything, but i've never known him to do anything like that.

i might go the add syrup and water to a cornie, force carbonate and serve through an enodis tap (or make another tap stand specifically for soft drinks) as that option would be much cheaper.

i wonder though how long coke/lemonade syrup lasts though when it's mixed with water :hmm:

BrewStew said:
i'll give norman an email and see if he's got anything, but i've never known him to do anything like that.

He seems to get everything else doesn't he, so he might be able to get hold of one for you.

i wonder though how long coke/lemonade syrup lasts though when it's mixed with water :hmm:

... erm... surely as long as the stuff in bottles, assuming it's not open to the air.

you'd think so but i'm not working in a sterile environment or with completely sterile containers :hmm:

It probably lasts forever! Not sure but the syrups themselves have an enornmous lifespan being as they are almost 100% sugar! Providing your Cornelius Keg is clean and sealed I'm not sure how the Coke mix could go off.

If you use treated water then you probably increase the longevity of any mixed soda drinks even more. Most Pubs and Bars (if not all) just use regular tap water and carbonate it via the Co2. That's why it's a pisstake when you get charged £1.50 for Soda Water as it's just tap water pumped via a cylinder...cheapskates.

Norm must have contacts in the soft drinks industry (Neverending supply of Cornelius Kegs anyone?) because I've seen a lot of people's setups supplied by him and noticed some of this equipment. He supplies Co2 management boards that are clearly Ex-Coca-Cola company (black and red usually). He might be able to offer some sort of solution to you and unless I imagined it I think the artist formally known as Aleman carbonates soft drinks in Cornelius Kegs for his kids. The drawback on this is I suppose it gives you less scope for different mixers as you'll pretty much have to plump for the most popular mixer and make up 18l of that.

And with you drinking 50-60 pints a week, that's about 120 pints of lemonade on top isn't it? It won't need to last that long ;)

:lol:

i might be partial to a glass or two to ease off my liver :cool: but the idea is it's for mine and my friends kids and the designated drivers of a spring party and whole hog spit roast i'm planning :grin:

if only i could get the actual shower head style dispense thingy though and just hook that up to some pre mixed, pre carbonated cornies of soft drinks... my bar space is at a premium as it is! the chiller will have to go to get more cornies under the bar as i can only manage 5 with the chiller there. 10 if it's not :(

Life span of syrups is probably infinite . . . couple of things worth knowing about teh concentrates

1) Bulk transport of syrup has to follow Hazchem regulations :shock:
2) Highway patrol cars in the US carry a gallon of syrup in the trunk as its grate for removing blood from the road surface
3) The bulk tanker drivers use the concentrate to clean the truck engines . . . its better than steam cleaning

And you want to put this stuff inside you :shock:

yeah... looks good! but i'm not sure i can fit all that stuff under my bar! :?

Thanks Trunky!

that's now on my watch list and if not alot happens in the last couple of hours i might put a bid in ;)

pffft that went for an obscene amount of money.

never mind i'll probably just sacrifice two draught taps or use bottles :thumb:

Latest posts

Back