Volume to weight ratio of grain?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muddydisco

Landlord.
Reaction score
Any one tell me the volume of a Kg of grain? or the weight of a ltr of grain? I'm trying to sort out sizes for my mash tun and having not seen how much grain is used in volume it's a bit hard to imagine! :wha:
I'm looking at doing some high % brews and and having room to spare in the tun. will be for 5G and 10G brews.

500g of dry malt occupies about a litre depending on 'packing'

According to Promash an 11Kg Grain bill with 2.5L per Kilo liquor will occupy 34.88L

Oh joy have found new things to look at!! (as in Promash) Wow :eek:
Right that give me some more clues I'm doing 2 mash tuns one for 5g's and the other for 10g's but I think I may of over spec'd for the amounts. Was thinking of 66ltr for 10g's and 45ltr for 5'gs now looks like 45 for 10's and smaller for 5's?
Does that sound right?

Depends on what you mean as a 10 gallon batch? . . . My 50L (45L Useable) Tun will allow me to do 80L of 1.050 which IIRC was around 15Kg grain that is 4 cornii worth.

5 UK gallon is 22.5L so 10 UK Gallons is 45L from my figures a 45L tun should give you enough colume to do 10 Gallons of quite a strong beer .. . or more than 10 of a weaker beer.

I'm looking at a 24L tun for a single corny length, and then either the 50L or an 80L tun for longer lengths

muddydisco said:
Any one tell me the volume of a Kg of grain? or the weight of a ltr of grain? I'm trying to sort out sizes for my mash tun and having not seen how much grain is used in volume it's a bit hard to imagine! :wha:
I'm looking at doing some high % brews and and having room to spare in the tun. will be for 5G and 10G brews.

Hello muddydisco, I've found these Brewing Calculators very handy for that.

Cheers Angie :thumb:
Have found some bigger shinier computer things, Beersmith and Promash, Have a look for them!

Latest posts

Back