Sanitising kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewdave

Reaction score
Ok, so I've recently bottled my very first home brew and cleaned out the fermenter barrel and other stuff with hot water. After allowing to dry it still smells a bit whiffy. Clearly I need to sanitise my gear so what do people recommend? :thumb:

I use VWP and have had no problems with it. The big tubs last quite a while. No infections/bad flavours so far (touches wood).

Some people just use watered down thin bleach.

Just make sure to do a GOOD cold rinse afterwards.

you can get 500ml bottles of Videne Antiseptic from Boots (you'll need to get them to order it in) for about £3.50. when used in 1.25ml per litre ratios it's a good No-Rinse sanitiser. Also, it tells you whether or not it's done it's job properly too... if the solution comes out clear, then you need to do it again ;)

when you only need about 10 litres of water and 12.5ml of videne to sanitise a bucket, a 500ml bottle lasts flippin ages :cool:

BrewStew said:
when you only need about 10 litres of water and 12.5ml of videne to sanitise a bucket, a 500ml bottle lasts flippin ages :cool:
I don't know, blooming southerners with money to waste ;)
If you buy a 500ml plant sprayer and make up a solution in it using 0.75ml of Videne and just ensure that whatever you are sanitising is fully wetted it lasts even longer :D

If you want to save money speak to a Yorkshire man :lol:

But none of that will get rid of the smell :lol:

You need some sort o cleaner . . . Washing soda (About 95p for 500g in the supermarkets) 50g on a litre of hot water, then wipe the surfaces down . . . or slosh it around the vessels will clean the worst of any organic residue from teh brewing containers

Then you can use a spray bottle of videne to sanitise
Then leave it to dry
When ready to use a quick spray with Videne is all it will take.

TS how long can you leave a Videne soln like that in a spray bottle?

it turns clear within a week or two i've found when doing it like that.. so i guess, when it turns clear, it's dead

I think I remember someone saying that you could store it for longer under "certain conditions"

I just can't remember what they were ... maybe TS can help out :hmm:

If you make it up with soft water, and add a drop or two of CRS it will keep more or less indefinitely. . . . If it looses its colour it is ineffective . . . I've videne I use for flushing through cornii that stil retained it colour after 6 months . . . . Oh it helps to keep it out of the Sunlight as well

I tend to make up my solutions using filtered water and as Aleman says if it's kept out of strong light it tends to keep until I use it up, which is 2 to 3 weeks :D

Back