Tesco stainless tray

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damfoose

Reaction score
Right oh I have a toscos stainless tray its been ground down so it fits inside my mash tun.

Now all I need to do is drill 200 plus 1.5mm holes in it to turn it into a mash tun false bottom.

Equipment I have 22 cobolt 1.5mm drill bits , centre punches , slow speed drill , about 1 litre of cutting oil.

Reason I have 22 cobolt drill bits ive broken 8 already and only drilled about 15 holes which took an hour.

I am drilling really slowley not using to much pressure but I am snaping bits like they are made of wood, Is their an easier way of drilling the tray or should I give up and get myself a normal plastic plate.

Go faster and use a pillar drill, the edge of the drill needs to be in a certain speed range to preform, a 20mm drill might be good at less than 100 rpm but the edge speed will burn if it was at 500rpm, I would be drilling at over 1000rpm for 1.5mm, the drill is so fragile that any side movement will snap it, you can't even tell that you are doing this by hand, therefore you need to use a pillar drill to exert a vertical force only, if you don't have one, there must be somone you know with one. With stainless the inital surface layer is the hardest part, once the drill gets through that it will fly, but as the piece is so thin that information is meaningless.
Bru

df, it's simply not worth trying to replicate a decent perforated sheet at home.
Far easier to buy and shape perforated sheet from an e-bay seller.
Here are a few eg's :thumb:

2mm holes are ideal, 1mm tends to clog and 3mm will let hop seeds through.

Back