NZ HALLERTAU AROMA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leedsbrew

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've just put an order in with TMM and added some NewZealand Hallertau Aroma hops. Any one had any experience/got any advice for using this hop?

Cheers

LB

Never used them so I can't really help. Last time I was wondering what to do with NZ hops I found the The New Zealand Hop table on this site quite useful. Sadly they don't seem to have hallertauer aroma on it. The info page is here but it only really suggests lager.

Cheers matey. Two good links there! I'll probably experiment with it. Gonna have to use te kolsch yeast though as my lagering fridge bit he bullet.

I'd guess it will be nice in a Kolsch from the description. Been thinking about doing a Kolsch since I've been enjoying the DeKoninck type thing I did. Mind you the Antwerp Ale will be available again fairly soon. Tempus Fugit eh?

That site suggest lager for all of the hops, I would ignore. I think that it would be a fantastic aroma hop in a pale.

Rob

cheers chaps!

pale lagery experiments ahoy! :D

TheMumbler said:
Mind you the Antwerp Ale will be available again fairly soon. Tempus Fugit eh?

Ah I'd forgotten about that one! cheers

just found this as well. Some of the same info and a little extra regarding oil content.

Hallertauer Aroma Hops hit the open pollination jack pot in New Zealand. Released in 1988, this trploid aroma variety was a cross between Hallertau Mittlefruh (2/3 open pollination) by 1/3 New Zealand male strain. The HortResearch Hop Breeding Programme was responsible for the introduction through Hort's Riwaka Research Centre.href='

Although it is dubbed as an aroma hops, Hallertaur Aroma crosses the line its usage capabilities. It has a moderate 7.0%-9.0% alpha acid rating which sets it up as a mult-purpose hops, and comes with a clean and smooth bitterness that is said to uphold itself well on the shelf. It carries less of the spiciness that can be found in Hallertau Mittlefruh, and introduces a zingy floral character with hints of citrus. Hallertauer Aroma is appropriate for beginning to end additions from the mash to the dry hop. The co-humulone and myrcene oil contents are both high. The most notable is the farnesene oil content at 5.0%-6.7%. This combination, no doubt, has favorable contributions to this aroma delight.

Aside from the excellent brewing qualities, Hallertauer Aroma Hops brings to the table great agricultural characteristics as well. This variety has high yields in the early season, and resistance to disease and fungus. Hallertauer Aroma Hops also has superior storage capabilities, making it a desirable crop.

from HERE

I'm going to be getting a hefe on for Xmas and will be using the HA!

I've just finished a brewday for a NZ lager, like a Steinlager but hopefully with more taste. I used green bullet and NZ hallertau. I mixed the hops through the boil with the green bullet predominant at the start and the hallertau more predominat at the end / steep stage.

I've ended up with 60 litres using pilsner malt, flaked rice, wheat malt, 100g of each hop and saflager s23.

The yeast has just gone in and I've got my feet up, I hope the taste of the final product reflects the absolutely lovely smell of those hops. Steeping with the last 20g of the hallertau has given a nice flavour.

good luck, I'll let you know in a few weeks what it was like to drink.

I bunged some Hallertau in a pale it was amazing, not sure if it was Hallertau, aroma, or mittfreu as bought it from bargain bucket at Homebrew shop.

25 litres

5.5 kg of pale malt
250gms flaked maize
340gms cheapo honey

20 gms hallertau 60 min
20 gms hallertau 30 mins
60 gms hallertau last 15 mind

S04 yeast

Back