HERMS Heat Exchanger Design

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleman

Regular.
Reaction score
OK, So I Understand the principle.

Container full of hot water with a coil in it. . . Wort is pumped around the coil, and is heated by the hot water . . . A heater in the container stops the temp of the water bath from dropping too low.

Yes / No?

Where do you put the Sensor? In the wort flow seems logical to me . . so that the PID is controlling the temperature of the wort rather than the water bath . . . although I would bet that controlling the bath temperature works just as well.

Canvasing for ideas here . . . I have my Kettle element . . . 4L Storage container . . . 6mm copper coil, PT100 sensors, PID ( :hmm: ) . . . just want to know how to set it up . . . while I wait for my 25A SSR to arrive from Asia

I'm by far an authority on the subject but i was led to believe the probe is best as close to the return manifold to mash tun as possible and that way the heat loss in the piping is minimal. I ran a brew through my system tonight and i liked how it worked.

Here's mine, the probe is in the middle facing the wrong way along the the visible ball valve to control the flow, that's how i did it anyway :roll:

breweryfinished010.jpg

My probe is located in the wort return manifold on the MLT like so. Element is located in the HERMS heat exchange vessel. You also need a control thermostat in the heat exchange vessel to avoid boiling should flow cease due to a compacted mash.

Cheers,

Screwy

HLT20HERMS20Return20small.jpg

OK, So I Understand the principle.
Container full of hot water with a coil in it. . . Wort is pumped around the coil, and is heated by the hot water . . . A heater in the container stops the temp of the water bath from dropping too low.
Yes / No?

Both :P The element in the HE is controlled by a PID. The PID regulates the outflow temp from the HE at a set temp.

Where do you put the Sensor? In the wort flow seems logical to me . . so that the PID is controlling the temperature of the wort rather than the water bath

You need to mount the sensor as close to the output from the HE as possible, and preferably in the wort flow, though 'pipe clamp' sensors are quite good though not as reactive as 'in flow' sensors.

although I would bet that controlling the bath temperature works just as well.

It could do. You will lose heat to the environment via the return manifold/piping, even if well lagged, and to the mash tun. You can account for this in your cals via th psb setting of the PID though.

Latest posts

Back