hop rerference

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhatFil

Reaction score
Now im brewing AG i need to understand more about hops.. can anyone point me to a good book on the subject or reading on the web..

I would also like to grow some hops next year, and am thinking of getting an east kent goldings plant to start with. while not ideal i would be growing in a container against a south facing wall.. and would have to grow up a short line which i could drop through the season .. an idea i have copied from a US web site.. thing is its a bit damper here and would dropping the vine back on itself create problems in our damper environment?
tia

cheers mark, thats the sort of thing i have found myself, what i am looking for is the sort of thing that will tell me what flavours the hops will impart in terms i can understand.

while terms like "low CoH value for an alpha variety" may mean something to a lot of brewers, to me its a jumbo jet 'way over my head'

what i could use is a reference that will put things in terms i can currently understand.. "Hop XX is what gives beer Y its distinctive ?? flavour"

Or a reference that will help me understand the sort of oblique statement above? an idiots guide to beer flavouring with hops perhaps..

perhaps i dont have the nose for hops, but i have yet to open a vacum pack of hops and sniff a flavour reminiscent of any ale i have tasted?

if i can compare a brew to cooking a curry then i consider the grain to equate to the food stuffs and hops equate to the spices.. is this a flawed understanding?

"HOP CHART" thanks Mark, i was missing the crucial search term..

time to pour a pint n have a lil read

Back