alternative hop to Hallertauer ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shocker

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have a large buildup of old materials that I want to use up before I buy TOO much more , and part of this buildup is the range of hops that I stored in dark glass airtight jars over 5 years ago . They are in pretty good nick considering and may have lost a little intensity but upping the rate of use seems to take care of that .

HOWEVER , the egregious Captain Pugwash is still demanding I make him more lager , and most of the recipes I have state Hallertauer - older ones just that and newer one of the varities . Now I can see the sense in that , fine , want to give the taste that the drinker is used to so use the same hop . BUT I really need to use up what I have , so ,what does the panel think I could use instead , along with the obvious Saaz that I have ?

On hand are ,

Fuggles
goldings
WGV as isomerised extract
Challenger
Northern Brewer
and maybe some Target

I will have to check but thats what I remember . I shall amend the list as I go .

What would be best to use as a bittering hop ,say ,with Saaz as the aroma ? Northern Brewer ? I know the germans use a lot of this ?

I should say that the , ahem ! , victims choice is something along the line of northern european or australian style lagers so an all Saaz may be a little too delicate for him .

Concentrate on high aroma with low bitterness, and ekg will make a great lager or light ale. Late additions and a low 60 min quantity will sort you out!

Fuggles were summed up perfectly by shocker as a 'blunt instrument. ' they're earthy and bitter so don't expect cleanliness, aroma and a non dirty muddy taste from them
:-P

Back