USING RAIN WATER

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devonhomebrew

Landlord.
Reaction score
Is is okay to use rain water to make a batch of beer i dont see why not just wondering what characterists it would bring to the beer.

I live in the deep south of the uk so clean air is always around =)

I was wondering the same thing about brewing with water from a local spring.
I know there are additives to be put back in for brewing certain styles - gypsum, salts etc but I might go collect and brew a small batch tomorrow to test.

Funnily enough Jim i didnt think of testing either but i have one of those garden testers so i may well test ours next year - although not 100% accurate i wouldnt have thought, but will at least tell me if the waters acidic or not.
I am going to cover my vines on the roof in plastic sheeting this winter too i can get the stuff in any length i want as they make green houses out of it here.

I would not be too keen on using rain water these days given the complex contaminants in the air . The virue of spring water is that (unless some sod buries a horse next to it) the water has been (often) filtered nicely by the ground layers . They are however liable to surface water contamination from livestock and surface agri chemicals . All in all , unless you are damn sure of the consistency of your alternative supply , tap water is your best bet .

Until coming to this forum I had thought that chlorines gassed off when tap water was left to stand . It appears that in recent years water companies have taken to using chloramines that smell less and hence do not gas off . So the use of sulphites as a neutralising agent is more important than ever . Campden tabs give you the best measured dose of sulphites and will do no harm to your brew as THEY will gas off nicely and take care of any nasties as they do so . In fact a 10% spray bottle of sodium met/campden is a handy thing to have around to make sure of chlorine neutralising on cleaned kit and things that you handle .

Devonhomebrew said:
Is is okay to use rain water to make a batch of beer i dont see why not just wondering what characterists it would bring to the beer.

I live in the deep south of the uk so clean air is always around =)
IMO, yes... I used fresh rainwater, more than once, in Germany a few years back to make a brew when I worked there for a number of years. This was common practice for some of the locals.
You will need to boil for 30 mins with the lid off and tweak the Ph with Gypsom and Epsome salts...

Thanks i will add gypsum but its alkaline does that neutralize the acid of rain water?

And do i boil the water or wort ??????????????

Latest posts

Back