Tom Caxton Real Ale Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Terry,

ive got 25g of hop pellets to use up. Would you not recommend the hop sachet that comes with the kit?

Just asking as I know yeast packs (in kits) are strongly avoided.

ive got 25g of hop pellets to use up. Would you not recommend the hop sachet that comes with the kit?
Just asking as I know yeast packs (in kits) are strongly avoided.
I didn't know that this kit comes with a 'hop sachet'. I suggest you use it and if you like hoppy beers use your hops as well. If you haven't dry hopped before you might like to consider a large muslin or nylon bag (sanitised before use) in which to keep the hops. This stops the hop particles clogging things up.
My experience with the yeast in kits I have done (bearing in mind there are a lot of kits I haven't tried) is that Coopers yeast is consistently reliable, others have been OK, but I would always change out the Wherry yeast which seems to be a problem of not enough yeast in the packet from what others on here seem to agree on.

ok Ill give the sachet a go. ive heard the guy who did the youtube vid say this is a malty beer? do you agree with this as ive heard a few say its sweet, but saying that I notice a lot put a whole kilo of sugar in with some kits which could ruin the balance of the kit.
can pellets be dropped in without a muslin bag, and will they need rinsing in boiled water? (sanitize)

Thanks for the advise:smile:

Last edited:
ok Ill give the sachet a go. ive heard the guy who did the youtube vid say this is a malty beer? do you agree with this as ive heard a few say its sweet, but saying that I notice a lot put a whole kilo of sugar in with some kits which could ruin the balance of the kit.
can pellets be dropped in without a muslin bag, and will they need rinsing in boiled water? (sanitize)

Thanks for the advise:smile:

I've just done one of these as a local garden center does them and I decided I would just try it so I could get one on while I felt like doing a quick brew. And then did it weeks later when I got around to it.

Its been on for 5 days and the airlock stopped bubbling 2 days ago so I took a sample today. OG was 1044 and now 1.011. I had brewed it a bit short and didnt quite have the full kilo of sugar, I use golden syrup as it leaves no taste after its been fermented. My thoughts were that you could force carb it and serve it in a pub now and probably wouldnt get any complaints. I will leave it for another week in the FV then put it in the pressure barrel to carb for 2 weeks and cold crash for 2 weeks.

EDIT: I finally wired up the brew fridge and moved it in there. Its started fermenting again.

Put a Tom Caxton Real Ale in the fermenting vessel today, WOW OG was 1.067, then realised what I had added altogether

INGREDIENTS

1.8kg Real Ale Kit
100g crystal malt (cold steeped)
150g chocolate malt (cold steeped)
600g medium spray malt
400g dextrose
300g malto-dextrin
454g holland & Barrett malt extract
GV12 Ale Yeast

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back