Coopers Australian Pale Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got this in the FV as we speak on day 4 made with two 750G golden syrup and plan on dry hopping on day 5/6 with a citra tea from a teabag then hang the teabag in it until around day 10/12 then keg.I just love the powerful taste of the citra hop.just a final thought though I ain't gonna boil the teabag instead I'm gonna steep it for around 20 minutes at around 60°C as I recently read on here if its boiled it'll drive off some of the aroma/flavour

My 18l of this is just finished fermenting, i plan to split it and add 30g of Sorachi hops to one batch and 30g of Citra to the other, one thing though, i added 600g of dextrose and 500g of dried Wheat malt,will that even work? Probably be low abv but im happy with that
Never used dried Wheat spraymalt before, it was all the health food shop had and im running out of homebrew fast ;(

Did this kit with a 1.5kg tin of light LME, substituted the kit yeast for Mangrove Jack M44 West Coast and added about 40g of Cascade as a dry hop about day 10. Bottled on day 15. SG = 1050, FG = 1010 coming out at around 5.25 ABV.

I'm sat here slurping an 8 month old one and it's really good. It was horrible after a month - really much more bitter than I was expecting, which I can only assume is down to the hopped kit LME. My dry hopping with Cascade was brief and for aroma - and that has overtaken the bitterness with patience (...as ever with these things!). It's still bitter, but in a good way - not many pale ale kits end up this bitter so it makes a change. I suspect, like a lot of Cooper's kits, it would have been bitter-ish and a bit bland without the tweaks. Never any compliant about the quality of the kit LME though - it's always been good stuff from Cooper's in my experience - the adjuncts just need to be good quality too.

Give it a go and try your own tweaks! 👍🏻

I did this kit a few times about 12-18 months ago and had good results in boosting it so I though I would try it again.
I did it with
- Kit can and yeast
- 500g Medium DME
- 500g Dextrose
- Micro mash of 250g Pale Malt, 100g Light Crystal malt, 100g Torrified Wheat, liquor from which was boiled for 45 mins with 10g First Gold to raise the IBUs a bit.
All to 22litres, OG 1.043
It had 6 days at 19*C more or less finishing at 4 days, a rack off to second FV, another 6 days at 19*C, and then a dry hop with 55g Cascade pellets chucked into the FV, 3 days at 15-19*C, and final 3 days at about 5-8*C.
Temp corrected FG 1.009
It has gone into a PB with 90g sugar, and was quite clear, though not completely clear, when it went in.
The taster was probably the best I've ever had at this stage, and was better than the beer I had in a pub at the weekend, so I've high hopes that this could turn out a winner. :thumb:
Will report back.

My AuPa from two posts back has turned out to be as good if not better than I thought it would. The First Gold did what it was supposed to do, just raise the bitterness, and the whole thing is complimented by the Cascade. I was drinking it after about 3 weeks on from putting in the PB, and it has not changed much from then. The Torrified Wheat has ensured a long lasting head. It is as good as any other similar commercial light ale of this type.
This will now become my standard beer, although I will try dry hopping with EKG, or more First Gold or similar hop as an alternative to Cascade, and so, among other things, I bought 3 more cans in the HBC sale yesterday.
Recommended. :thumb:

I love this kit. :thumb:
I have just sampled from the PB in which I put another AuPA yesterday to see if the PB is holding pressure (it is).
This beer was kit can plus the usual bits and bobs as before, except I used the lager yeast trub from a Coopers Euro lager instead of kit yeast, first fermented for a few days at 15*C before increasing to ale fermenting temps, then finally dry hopped with 40g Styrian Goldings. Managed to go from 1.044 to 1.007. Light and fresh, slightly pine and fruit to the taste. Could be drunk now if I wanted to.
Brilliant.

Back