New Zealand Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barry44

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have managed to get my hands on some nelson sauvin and some pacific gem and am looking to combine them into my next brew.

I have a standard abv & ibu that I like and have arranged the recipe to suit.

NZ Ale

Recipe specifics:

Style: American Pale Ale
Batch size: 23.0 l
Boil volume: 12.0 l
OG: 1.051
FG: 1.013
Bitterness (IBU): 44.6
Color (SRM): 8.4
ABV: 5.0%

Grain/Sugars:

2.50 kg Light DME, 75.8%, boil for 5 min
0.50 kg Light DME, 15.2%
0.30 kg Crystal 40L, 9.1%

Hops:

11.00 g Magnum (AA 14.4%, Pellet) 60 min, 20.7 IBU

10.00 g Nelson Sauvin (AA 12.5%, Whole) 10 min, 5.4 IBU

10.00 g Pacific Gem (AA 13.9%, Whole) 10 min, 6.0 IBU

20.00 g Nelson Sauvin (AA 12.5%, Whole) 5 min, 5.9 IBU

20.00 g Pacific Gem (AA 13.9%, Whole) 5 min, 6.6 IBU

15.00 g Nelson Sauvin (AA 12.5%, Whole) dry hop

15.00 g Pacific Gem (AA 13.9%, Whole) dry hop

-----
I have not used either of these hops yet and would welcome a critique on my quantities of each as I am worried that the nelson may overpower the pacific gem.

I have 100g of each and am very happy to increase additions as required.

What do you think?

I like Magnum, nice clean bittering hop. Only ever used Nelson Sauvin in a few single hop brews which have all turned out to be very nice beers. Not tried Pacific Gem.

Made this today with a slight alteration on the hops. I put 30g of nelson sauvin and pacific gem in at 5 minutes only after having good results with that method recently. Going to dry hop it for 4-5 days with 20g of each.

Tried this the other night after 2.5 weeks in the bottle, 2@18 and then @11.

First impression was a great big blackcurrant smell as I poured it but the taste was quite tart. I assume that the Nelson sauvin is providing that but I wasn't get much else. Will leave for another week and try another bottle then.

I've used Pacific Gem once and it's a strong one! I had about 20g in at the start of the boil and it gave tons of flavour. I used EKG as my aroma hop.

I didn't like the beer on first try but after a month or two conditioning in the bottle it mellowed quite a bit to give quite a nice fruity flavour.

Back