Brew Length vs Brew Frequency + a Happy Liver

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Starting on the 9th January, so far this year I have brewed:

o 17 x 21 litre Beer brews (not counting a Gluten Free one that I did for a mate)

o 2 x 21 litre Cider brews.

Assuming that I drink 98% myself (generosity runs in my family) :whistle: ...

... I drink under one and a half litres of beer or cider per day! :thumb: :thumb:

I didn't realise how moderate my drinking was ... :lol: :lol:

... so thanks for getting me to do the maths! :thumb: :thumb:

PS

In summer the 25 litre kegs should have a Health Warning stuck on them ...

... 'cos it's so easy to just keep nipping out to re-fill a jug while you can still walk! :thumb:

My biggest dilemma with brewing is that I would want to brew every week but could/would not drink that much. I make 30 - 40 litre batches so it is impossible to drink all that every week. I don't see the point in making small 1-3 gallon batches because of the time involved, much better to make 10 times the volume in teh same time.

Ideally making beer every week allows you to refine techniques and do comparative brews with similar malts and different conditions but again would be wasteful.

This is the one reason why I considered (and am still) brewing for sale , not necessarily to make a fortune but enough to cover all costs and a bit on top. It gives the opportunity for regular and inventive brewing with an outlet and if kept small ( 3 BB) will not put massive pressure on me for sales. there is a similar operation called Newtown brewery where teh brewer fills a few cask per week who supplies one or two pubs in his village locality, that would suit me, I would even be prepared to pay for my own beer!

...but could you really be bothered with the "business"aspect...tax,customs with alcohol involved, and all the rest of it? My wife runs a small business and the ONLY break she gets is if we physically go away on holiday..but then there's the odd call from staff and still customer queries. . You could be coming in from the day job and starting all over again..when we first started her business we were open 7 days a week..it's now 5 and a half..I hope she makes it 5 next year.

Cheers

Clint

...but could you really be bothered with the "business"aspect...tax,customs with alcohol involved, and all the rest of it? My wife runs a small business and the ONLY break she gets is if we physically go away on holiday..but then there's the odd call from staff and still customer queries. . You could be coming in from the day job and starting all over again..when we first started her business we were open 7 days a week..it's now 5 and a half..I hope she makes it 5 next year.

Cheers

Clint

No day job, that's the good part why not spend your time doing something you want to do? I am talking small and the HMRC is only once a month, tax handled by an accountant and pay myself a wage.

I am thinking of brewing twice a week, 18 -20 casks, leaving three "work days" for minimal bookkeeping and selling. I know a few bar owners and once the casks are out there it's word of mouth and new recipes to keep the interest. Minimal investment with rented kit and if it isn't working after 5 - 12 months then losses are negligible
What better way to waste the rest of your life than making beer and spending time in bars taking about it and drinking it!

Ah..different ball game! Those micro pubs seem to be springing up all over and promote local ales. The few days a week sampling sounds dreadful....

Cheers

Clint

What better way to waste the rest of your life than making beer and spending time in bars taking about it and drinking it!

If you can manage it, you will be following the advice given to me by a Ship's Carpenter back in the 1960's who told me:

"The perfect job is when you can get some idiot to pay you to do what you would be doing anyway."

Go for it! :thumb: :thumb:

Back