Harvested yeasts suggest a recipe?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scass

Reaction score
Hi brewers,

It's been a while since I posted here early in my AG career (last year). I've made over a dozen batches since then, mostly pale ale variants but also oatmeal stout (splendid), pumpkin ale (interesting) and a mild (conditioning now).

What next? Well I recently harvested two yeasts a Westmalle and a gueuze (Mariage Parfait). Both have an amazing aroma, particularly the gueuze. It seems to be crying out for use...

I have pale, pilsner, munich and various other adjunct malts and grains.

I have cascade, goldings, fuggles, perle and a few other hops in small quantities.

I fancy something light and summer-like. (It's already warming up, here in northern Portugal.) Full bodied and retaining the amazing fruity character of this gueuze yeast. I enjoy wheat beers but have no wheat malt at the moment, but perhaps could get some before I brew. To be made with simple equipment (just a boiler and picnic box mash tun).

Thoughts? Experiences?

Appreciation for the expertise on this forum... I've learned a lot here so far and look forward to gaining more experience with you.

Cheers,

Steve

I'm by no means an expert on this so take with with a pinch of salt but I've been reading up a lot about Belgian beers and ones like geuze that involve wild yeast and it seems there are loads of directions you can go with that. I'm going to start experimenting with these as soon as I can.

I don't know if the Geuze yeast contains all the crazy stuff that they use in lambics (they might use something different to bottle condition, or pasteurize it). However, if it does have all the interesting wild yeast strains then you could try some sort of sour beer but they take a a hell of a lot of time. I've also heard you can use that yeast in the secondary or bottle to condition a beer and it may develop over time.

You could probably make loads of different stuff if you make a good starter with the Westmalle yeast. You could try to find a recipe for a triple or blond and just substitute that yeast.

Latest posts

Back