Water....help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minesa1664

Reaction score
Hello all

I have been brewing for a number of years. now I live in the new forest and have very different water to Cumbria where I started brewing. I have bought a load of chemicals to changing the water but is there a link to a good discussion on how to analyze and change water to brew larger and other pale ales.

I'm told i have very hard water now.

Thanks for the help.

will

Hi Will,

If you do a search here you will find some good stuff in the archive

Martin Brungard, has some good information on water at his BrunWater site, but don't take everything as gospel from there, as a lot of us are finding that it does not necessarily relate to British ales, British Water profiles, and British palates.

You might get some more information here

The first step in deciphering what you should be doing with your water is to get a competent water test. I understand that Murphy's will get that done for you. With that test result in hand, then you can start intelligently planning treatment.

To get a better handle on why and what you need to change, I suggest visiting the Water Knowledge page on the Bru'n Water website. That will start you on the long path to understanding what to do and why. The Bru'n Water software helps you with the how (OK, it actually is helping you with the 'how much'). That should help you create better beer.

Enjoy!

Murphy's? Is that a guy on the forum or a website? I will have a loom at the website.

Cheers

Will

Hello again. I've been in touch with them and for 20 quid they will fully analyse my water. Has anyone done this before?

Hi,

I've just done this for my water and I'm in soton down the road.

With the analysis you get the underlying mineral profile of your water but they also give you 3 suggested water treatments to brew pale ales and bitters, stouts and porters and lagers. These are shown as three tables in your water report.

I've not tried to use the mineral profile to do my own water calcs yet so can't guarantee that you will have absolutely everything you need to do this. My gut feel is that it is all there.

Maceio

Latest posts

Back