Susan Hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonnyv

Regular.
Reaction score
Supplied by Paul @ Barley Bottom... Anyone used them?

Quoted as a hedgerow hop, 9.8% AA, "fresh flowers with hints of lemon spices clean and aromatic."

I've asked Paul for some recommendations on using them - not heard back yet.

Was thinking I might continue my single-hop beer crusade :drink:

I think 'susan' would like that. I prefer Tracey who shags on a first date though. :lol:

Not used them but I like the idea of using them as a single hop beer so you get to know them.

The only danger of course is ..... :sick:

From your description you could try them as a replacement for Styrains in a Styrian Stunner

Bring on "Stunning Susan" :grin:

Wez said:
The only danger of course is ..... :sick:

From your description you could try them as a replacement for Styrains in a Styrian Stunner

Bring on "Stunning Susan" :grin:

How bad can they be? ;)

I'll follow my usual recipe of pale malt, small amount of crystal for colour then 20 IBU @ 90 mins, 15 IBU @ 15 mins and a handful at 80 degrees.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

I brewed with Susan today - she reminds me of First Gold - very orangey/lemony.

No pics of the brew but I might post the recipe if it turns out well. It was a bit of a bodge brewday as I had no scales :shock: - so it was a case of doing things by volumes - 2 litres of grain about equals a kilo. Hops I just split the 100g bag in three and threw one lot as FWH and the other lot at 80 degrees for steeping - hopefully should come out about right.

Missed the gravity by a few points though - but no surprising there ;)

Nice one JV - sounds like a good aroma from them :thumb:

Will watch with interest :cool:

I bet it turns out a cracker JV and you spend the next 6 months trying to replicate it :lol: I never tried Susan hops so i'll be watching this with interest also.

I'll keep you all updated :thumb:

S04 has done it's job - down from 1.042 to 1.010 - I've thrown in some hops to the FV so let's hope I like the flavour!

Cracked open a bottle last night. I've got chill haze problems again :evil:

Despite the cloudiness it tasted rather nice. I can't yet put my finger on what to compare it to - maybe I'll have to have a few more to decide ;)

Ive tried to do a bit of research on these Susan Hops, I brought a 5kg bale from Farrams and Ive dished em out between fellow brewers in our Burton Beer Circle, so Im looking forward to using them tomorrow.

The Leadmill Brewery,Denby,Derbys use them in their 5.5% Spit or Swallow ale.
Doghouse Brewery brew a seasonal ale called 4.3% Snoozy Suszy.
Arkells Moonlight 4.5% is brewed with Fuggles and Susan.
Thornbridge brew 3.8% Heron using M.O, Munich malts and use Susan hops.

They are very resinous,"yellow" and smell so good, and they took some effort to break up when they came out of the bale. Im brewing 91% M.O and 9% crystal, 35EBU. Ill let you know how it turns out. :cheers:

Cheers Steve.

BurtonBrewer said:
Ive tried to do a bit of research on these Susan Hops, I brought a 5kg bale from Farrams and Ive dished em out between fellow brewers in our Burton Beer Circle, so Im looking forward to using them tomorrow.

The Leadmill Brewery,Denby,Derbys use them in their 5.5% Spit or Swallow ale.
Doghouse Brewery brew a seasonal ale called 4.3% Snoozy Suszy.
Arkells Moonlight 4.5% is brewed with Fuggles and Susan.
Thornbridge brew 3.8% Heron using M.O, Munich malts and use Susan hops.

They are very resinous,"yellow" and smell so good, and they took some effort to break up when they came out of the bale. Im brewing 91% M.O and 9% crystal, 35EBU. Ill let you know how it turns out. :cheers:

Cheers Steve.

Happy to send you a bottle to see what you think. My beer was brewed 100% with Susan hops... I'd have to dig out the grain bill and it's a little over-carbonated in the bottle but that can be knocked out on pouring.

Let me know and if you're happy, I'll pop a bottle in the post.

I haven't quite put my finger on what hop to compare them to but I do like them.

Jonny

Latest posts

Back