Simcoe Mild

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clibit

Reaction score
Simcoe Mild
Simcoe in an English mild. Fabulous!

Batch Size (L): 10.0
Original Gravity (OG): 1.041
Final Gravity (FG): 1.008
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.30 %
Bitterness (IBU): 29.2

Grain Bill
----------------
1.300 kg Maris Otter Malt (74.71%)
0.200 kg Wheat Malt (11.49%)
0.150 kg Crystal 75 (8.62%)
0.070 kg Black Malt (4.02%)
0.020 kg Chocolate (1.15%)

Hop Bill
----------------
5.0 g Simcoe Leaf (13.2% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.5 g/L)
5.0 g Simcoe Leaf (13.2% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil) (0.5 g/L)
5.0 g Simcoe Leaf (13.2% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (0.5 g/L)

Mash at 65°C for 60 Minutes.
Ferment at 18°C with Mauribrew Ale 514 / US05

Was going to brew this mild.
Any thoughts on adding a handfull of fresh wallnuts into the boil.
As I quite like beers with a nutty flavour and I have a large wallnut tree at bottom of garden.

I think you need to crush and toast the oils in the oven to reduce the oil content and then put them in the mash. there's some guidance here...

https://byo.com/hops/item/2530-brewing-gone-nuts

I also found this post on an American forum:

"My buddy and I recently made a Maple Pecan Nut Brown Ale. We mashed nearly a pound of them in with the grains in our partial mash. We had toasted them about 6 times to get any oils off. We added maple syrup five minutes before the end of the boil. We kegged it, and when we tapped it, it had an amazing nitro-stout like head even though it was on CO2. As long as you get the oils off by toasting and mash them in, the head should be fine. The beer was amazing (and the smoothest 9% I've ever had!)."

There's very little mention of walnuts that I can find, I don't know how suitable they are, but got to be worth a try.

Thanks for the reply.
I may crush them and boil in a small quantity of water.
Then skim off the oil.

Brewed today with walnuts.
Made a 15 litre brew that ended up at 12.5 litres OG 1.050
Used some of my own walnuts and added some that i purchased.
Crushed and boiled 100 gms then drained off water roasted in oven and added to boil.
When boiling there was a scum on top,not sure if it was oil from nuts so skimmed off.
Wort has a nice taste so cant wait till its ready to drink.
Also those simcoe hops smell fantastic.

It has started to ferment slowly but there looks like a film of oil on top.
Will siphon from under the oil into another FV.
Hopefully I wont waste to much and it will be oil free.
Dont know if yeast is affected by oil.

I wouldn't worry I think, just siphon it at the end of fermentation. I doubt the oil will bother the yeast.

Yeah probably but why not wait til fermentation is over and get rid of the oil at bottling time?

I agree (didn't read the last few threads in the post :oops:). I'd only rack from under it now if I had another reason for racking to a secondary. As you say can't see it causing the fermentation any harm. After all hop oils sit on the top of many a brew without causing harm and it's just more work/one more step

Will leave until its finished and then siphon into another FV.
Fermentation is ok now with airlock bubbling quite regular.
So the oil has not affected the yeast.

Have bottled tonite.
Siphoned into bottling bucket,most of the oil has disappeared from when it first started to ferment.
May have been eaten up by the yeast.
Very tasty not sure how much flavour is the nuts but cant wait till its conditioned.
Ended up at 4.6.
May add various nuts to a few more brews.

Has been bottled two weeks.
Tried one last nite realy nice and can only get better.
Head was ok and lasted to bottom of glass so oil from nuts was ok.
Will have to brew again with nuts as it is realy smooth and as good as if not better than a lot of pub milds.
As clibit descibed it FABULOUS.

mild.jpg

Brilliant job that Dave, looks fantastic! Darker than mine, maybe we used different crystal malts.

How much nut flavour?

Not sure how much flavour is from nuts but is realy tasty and smooth.
May brew a small quantity again and split the wort,adding nuts to half and compare when finished.

May rebrew my first AG recipe and add nuts and see how it compares to original.
Still have a couple of bottles left.

Looks good, I never really tried mild before but we took the kids down the 7th Valley railway steam trains and I tried a Hobsons CHampion Mild.. I was surprised, smooth malty and a touch sweet/ chocolaty. Not sure how good a Mild that is but it certainly got me curious enough Will certainly be interested in making one.

Latest posts

Back