Rusty Sprocket

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmh7117

alejunky
Reaction score
This brew was formulated on Brewmate.
It is a very close clone to Studland Bay Wrecked. Brewed in the Banks Arms micro brewery Studland Dorset.

Rusty Sprocket (Extra Special/Strong Bitter)

Hop Characteristics
Amarillo- Floral, tropical, and citrus (lemon, orange and grapefruit)
Fuggles- Delicate and pleasant mint, grass and floral tones.

Original Gravity (OG): 1.055
Final Gravity (FG): 1.014
Alcohol (ABV): 5.40 %
Colour (SRM): 14.1 (EBC): 27.8
Bitterness (IBU): 31.6 (Average)

55.56% Maris Otter Malt
33.33% Munich I
5.56% Biscuit
5.56% Crystal 120

1.1 g/L Amarillo (8.6% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.3 g/L Amarillo (8.6% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil)
0.6 g/L Fuggles (5.7% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
0.3 g/L Amarillo (8.6% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 18°C with S-04

Notes: Mash in @66c with 9 litres
Strike water @ 73C
First runnings top up with 7.1L
Second runnings 10.8L
Should come out with 18L of lovleyness.

Mmmm.... this sounds good! A bit stronger than my usual, but I like the sound of Amarillo + Fuggles. I'm working on a recipe dry-hopped with Goldings and Motueka, a combination which I like a lot. Haven't got the malt balance right yet.....
Talking of which - I've never used Munich malt, but I understood it was low in enzymes. Obviously, you've used it as a third of the malt. Do you think this is why your FG is 1014, which I'd have thought is maybe high for a 66°C mash?

Mmmm.... this sounds good! A bit stronger than my usual, but I like the sound of Amarillo + Fuggles. I'm working on a recipe dry-hopped with Goldings and Motueka, a combination which I like a lot. Haven't got the malt balance right yet.....
Talking of which - I've never used Munich malt, but I understood it was low in enzymes. Obviously, you've used it as a third of the malt. Do you think this is why your FG is 1014, which I'd have thought is maybe high for a 66°C mash?

Hey Hoppyland.
I like a chewy beer.
Munich malt was added for body. The original recipe I formulated was 50-50! But I knew the balance would not have been right.
Most of the beers that I have produced have not really gone below 1010 that's extract included. I think it might be down to yeast as all the yeast I have been using are non commercial dried/ wet. Or it could be the influence from the body of the beer. But will definitely give more consideration to mash temps and % of malt in the future.- everyday is a school day!:lol:
I have since cultured a yeast strain from a German Weissen beer and used it to brilliant results.

Yeh, I'm not a fan of thin, dry beers myself.
Just back in action after a gap in brewing of about 5yrs (no house!) & I'm amazed at the wealth of top-quality ingredients now easily available - especially the hops from USA & NZ, but also the malts.
I've been using Caragold (Crisp) in a lot of my beers, and my latest malt order includes Vienna, which I'm itching to try out. Guess I'll now pop Munich on the list as well!
What yeasts are you using? I tend to use Brewlab slopes. Mainly because that's what I always did, as soon as I found out about them. Yonks ago they were the only decent alternative I could find to rubbish dried yeast. But I also like some of them because they suit my palate. E Midland 1 & Tyneside current favourites. I like them because they ferment the way I'm used to - strong top-fermenters - and don't push a lot of their own flavour onto the beer, and they don't seem great attenuators. I like a full-bodied beer that carbs up slowly in bottle.
Not sure about your Weissen yeast, though! Maybe I'm just hopelessly uneducated, but a lot of continental beers make me think of antiseptic - or the sort of thing that fermenting an English yeast at high temperatures might produce :-o

Yeh, I'm not a fan of thin, dry beers myself.
Just back in action after a gap in brewing of about 5yrs (no house!) & I'm amazed at the wealth of top-quality ingredients now easily available - especially the hops from USA & NZ, but also the malts.
I've been using Caragold (Crisp) in a lot of my beers, and my latest malt order includes Vienna, which I'm itching to try out. Guess I'll now pop Munich on the list as well!
What yeasts are you using? I tend to use Brewlab slopes. Mainly because that's what I always did, as soon as I found out about them. Yonks ago they were the only decent alternative I could find to rubbish dried yeast. But I also like some of them because they suit my palate. E Midland 1 & Tyneside current favourites. I like them because they ferment the way I'm used to - strong top-fermenters - and don't push a lot of their own flavour onto the beer, and they don't seem great attenuators. I like a full-bodied beer that carbs up slowly in bottle.
Not sure about your Weissen yeast, though! Maybe I'm just hopelessly uneducated, but a lot of continental beers make me think of antiseptic - or the sort of thing that fermenting an English yeast at high temperatures might produce :-o

I mainly have been brewing Weissen beer but also like dabbling with English ales. I like the German style of brewing and try and emulate that in brewing ales by not adding sugar but gaining fermentables from grain only.

The yeasts I have been using for english ales are S-04, Dynastar and Nottingham but have found out that the Ringwood brewery are handing out yeast which is were I will be heading as its up the road.

Back