Double C IPA (Extract)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bounce

Jaded Bohemian
Reaction score
I know the recipe section is generally for AG recipes but I thought I'd throw this one out there as it turned out really nice (and didn't last long between me and my mates). This would be a good one for anyone wanting to move on from kits to extract brewing as it's very simple. I knocked this one up in Beersmith 2. I was going to mash some caramalt as well as the extract but I forgot to buy it :doh:

With regard to being a simple recipe, it's easy to do with the partial boil method I covered somewhere on the site so you don't even need a giant pan.

Anyway, here's the recipe. It actually turns out stronger and hoppier than the Beersmith numbers suggest so I may have to tweak the setting in BS 2 to get more accurate figures.

Recipe: Double C IPA
Style: IPA/APA
TYPE: Extract
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 13.4 EBC
Estimated IBU: 53.5 IBUs
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Batch size (fermenter) 20 Litres

Boil
----
Amt Name
3.00 kg Light Dry Extract [Boil for 60 min]
22.00 g Centennial [10.50 %] - Boil 60 min
14.00 g Centennial [10.50 %] - Boil 45 min
14.00 g Centennial [10.50 %] - Boil 30 min
11.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15 min
11.00 g Centennial [10.50 %] - Boil 15 min

Flameout
--------
10.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool
10.00 g Centennial [10.05 %] - Steep/Whirlpool

1.0 pkg Nottingham (Danstar) Yeast

Dry Hop
-------
28.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days
28.00 g Centennial [10.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days

At least 2 weeks in the fermenter and I actually dry hopped it a couple of days longer.

I'd kind of worked it out so it uses a pack of Centennial and half a pack of Cascade so it could be made twice with round numbers of hop packs.

In fact I've just bottled batch 2 using the other half of the Cascade and another pack of Centennial. This latest one uses US-05 yeast as it was a last minute rush to make it and Bottledog (closest shop for ingredients) didn't have any Nottingham.

Let's see how batch 2 gets on.

Sounds pretty good and relatively easy. Home brew company do 1.5kg of liquid malt extract for £4.95 a pop, might give it a go with 3kg total of that and I have S-05 yeast anyway.

Might even chuck in a wee bit of citra at dry hopping stage for an extra kick.

Should be great with the Citra added. Watch out if you are using liquid extract to reduce the volume a bit (unless you want a weaker beer) as there is about 20% less fermentable sugar in the liquid extract compared to the dried stuff weight for weight.

Slightly lower ABV would actually be quite good. All the IPAs I have are between 5.5-6.5% so a nice hoppy one around the 4% mark would be a welcome addition to my collection.

Now to find the time to get it brewing.

Back