First taste of beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alikav

Regular.
Reaction score
Dont know if this has been a topic ( im fairly new to the forum), what was the first ever beer you tasted??
Mine was a Newcastle Brown Ale shandy,off me dad when i was about 8 i think! Powerful medicine the"bottle o dog" as its known up 'ere!

Mine was Double Diamond, about 40 years ago.

s-l300.jpg

When i first started in the pub at 16!!!!!! I alterated between these two.....propa beer then!

s-l300.jpg

My first ale was Gales HSB. It was that or Fosters at my local pub and I didn't like lager then. I was only 16 and have drunk ales ever since :thumb:

Jas

Watneys party seven bitter at a party in the local scout hut.

As I recall about 2 of the 7 pints ended up on the ceiling when it was opened.

I can't remember my first taste of beer, but I remember my dad buying my my first pint in the workies club (age 16). It was Cameron's Trophy. You could only get it in the East Durham area as far as I know. It used to be brewed at the old Nimmo Brothers Brewery in Castle Eden about 2 miles from where I grew up. They moved production further south a few years back though and it's never been quite the same.

Was this anyones tipple? Makkum lands answer to Newcastle Broon, not a bad drop at all!

I used to drink that now and then. Haven't seen it in a while though.

My dad used to bring the odd half-pint bottle home from the pub for me. First one was probably SA Brain Extra Stout, I would have been 6 or 7.

...thought Hartleys made jam? I was very young when I had my first beer off my old man in the pub. Would have either been something from Border breweries or Wrexham Lager brewery.

Cheers

Clint

I sipped my dads beer when I was little but no idea what that was.

When I first started going out drinking I was 16 and I justed followed everyone else and had fosters.. but it quickly changed to diesel again following others..

In an attempt to blend in with the cool dudes during my punk/metal phase in the early 80s. I was told this was the quickest way to get drunk. That was true, but it was also the quickest way to end up being sick all over the toilets in The Broken Doll, Newcastle! 9% I think it was!!!!

download.jpg

I used to live in a pub and look after all the cask ale we had - the best seller by far was Boddingtons (this is going back 25 years).
I would have 6 x 36 gallon casks of the stuff on stillage at different stages of being rested, tapped and vented before I would serve it - They were my babies and I wouldn't let anyone near them - we would sell about 3 barrels of it each week.
An absolutely cracking pint.

220px-Boddingtons301.jpg

When I started drinking legally (well almost) my beer of choice was Hartley's best bitter.

Double Diamond has to be a contender for the worst beer ever award.
Have we done a thread on the worst beer ever? I thought about starting one but I can't believe it hasn't been done (I did search).

I wouldn't know if it was good or bad my grandad bought me the DD when I was only a nipper and i don't think i ever had another, when I started to drink a few years later Hartley's Best Bitter was my favourite and as it was brewed here it was in most of the pubs.

First real beer experience, other than nicking cans of McEwan's export from granddads stash or drinking generic lager, was in the students union, cask conditioned McEwans 80%. super pint!

Honestly couldn't say but my parents were quite liberal about booze allowing us a little bit from a young age. My Dad home brewed as far back as I remember and as a treat we'd sometimes have a weak shandy and a bag of crisps on a Saturday evening so it was probably his home brew that I drank first.

When I first started going to pubs I think it was probably lager that I was drinking, Stella or similar, but I soon reacquainted myself with ale when I started at Uni.

Latest posts

Back