Ink bird

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gedburg101

Reaction score
Just a quick one.

Can you use the ink birk temp controller to maintain sparge water temp during mashing?

All the examples I've see use it to maintain fermentation temp.

Cheers.

I've raised that one here.
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=68176

I think you need the long probe to actually put it in liquid (but not 100% sure as havent bought it yet). Maybe someone can answer if the standatrd probe can go in liquid. Control temp is up 120°C so I think it should maintain mash and sparge temps, but again I cant be 100% sure. I've listed a couple of possibilities in my thread of models and probes.

I've done it thrice now with the 306 Inkbird kindly gave away on here. Just have to make sure you stir every now and then to get an accurate reading and don't have the delay set too low.

I've hit my target mash temperature (as per Beersmith) each time.

So you set your sparge temp. Plug your hlt into the inkbird, hang the probe into the water and then just walk off?

I use the Inkird "Easy BBQ" (aka "BBQ Go") to keep an eye on my mashing temperature.

It has the advantage of sending a signal to my phone and also sound an alarm if the temperature goes outside the desired Hi-Lo temperatures. (Today they will be set at 72 and 70 degrees.)

BTW, I've modified one of my probes by sealing the collar with a dab of silicone sealant. I don't submerge the probe completely in the mash water (I trap the wire with the Mash Tun lid when the collar on the probe is just clear of the water) and the silicone prevents any condensed water getting in and ruining the probe.

The photograph is of when I was testing the probe to make sure that the silicone sealant worked. It did ... :thumb:

... but I try not to tempt fate! :whistle:

PS to Admin:

I posted this in another Thread in error. :doh: Sorry for the repeat!

Probe2bubble.jpg

Back