False Bottoms

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braindead

Landlord.
Reaction score
Could anyone recommend a good false bottom.
Just in the process of converting my Thermo Pot and looking for a decent false bottom.
I would like one with a rubber seal around it to stop scratching and to make a better seal.
The inner width is around 15"
Thanks

I used a Blichmann 15G false bottom for a 50l Thermopot, its fits with a 1 mm gap around the outside. Not enough space to fit a hose around it but i don't find it scratches the sides any. The Blichmann 15g false bottom is 396mm in diameter.

I just drilled a few 3mm holes through the plate and used some M3 stainless steel bolts with nuts and domed nuts on the end to allow it to stand 30mm of the bottom of the pot. I then used some washers and a bolt to close over the dip tube pickup hole. I never got round to putting a eyelet in to help lift it out of the tun as it lifts out by just using my nails under one of the indents.

I found it works great and gives me really clean wort when recirculating. Its around 1mm think so it does not bend under weight.

I've only had a stuck mash once when doing a 70% wheat mash but I should have used some rice or oat hulls to help it.

As per Rogermort post above, Brewbuilder do a Custom Cut - False bottom out of 1.5mm thick perforated sheet. The 2mm gaps are slightly bigger than the Blichmanns gaps but if the grain is not milled too fine it should work just as well.

My 50l Berglund thermo pot is up in the loft, not had time to do any conversion to mash tune, does anyone know what the diameter should be for the false bottom, I have a cnc punch at work and stacks of stainless steel off cuts, I want to make mine and see how well it will work, smallest punch tool is a slot that is 1.5mm wide x 12mm long, I was going to do a pattern of perpendicular slots, if I can sort my one out I could do others, think it will work well, I can put holes in for the standoff bolts too

fastline said:
My 50l Berglund thermo pot is up in the loft, not had time to do any conversion to mash tune, does anyone know what the diameter should be for the false bottom

The false botton on mine fits very neatly into a 50l thermopot and the diameter is 396mm . I think 1.5 slots should work well.

Wouldn't mind seeing how you get on with that.

Unfortunately the Blichmann false bottom I just purchased doesn't fit into my 50l thermopot.
DOH!!!!!

Gutted
Looks like some grinding needed

Unfortunately the Blichmann false bottom I just purchased doesn't fit into my 50l thermopot.
DOH!!!!!

Gutted
Looks like some grinding needed
Sorry to read that mate. Don't understand why they changed the internal diameter of the pots. My thermopot's not that old and it's an exact fit.

Are you going to adjust it, how much is it out by.

Sent from my SM-T555 using Tapatalk

looks like a few mm. Yeah ill have a bash at grinding it.\
What distance is your from the base of the pot.
The gap between the FB and the Pot.
thx

I drilled approx 20 ×3mm holes over it and used M3 x 30mm stainless steel bolts. So it stands around 30mm off the bottom. The gap around the edge is quite consistent at 1mm all round. I don't need to use any hose but if your grinding it smaller then it might be tricky to get it equal all round. so edging it with hose might help tidy it off a bit. If you are using a hose you might need to take a little more off when grinding it....depend on the hoses wall thickness.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

It looks like Blichmann changed the diameter of the 15 Gallon Boiler pot which has changed the false bottle size.

The 15 Gallon original version was called a G1 looks to be 15.6” (so 396mm, the one I have) and new version G2 is approx. 1/4 inch bigger so around 6mm.

From the Blichmann website is reads:

The G2 and G1 15 gal false bottoms are not interchangeable as the US construction unfortunately necessitated a diameter change (about 1/4") in the new BoilerMakerâ„¢G2. We will continue to offer the G1 15 gal false bottom for the indefinite future.

Not sure if that helps you now but if its the G2 version you have it might be worth checking if you can change it for G1 version.

Check out powell brewing, mine came with my 33Ltr mash tun. Made brew days so much easier.

DSC_0316.jpg

To late Ive ground it down.
Little off in places and a mm or 2 out in places.
Anyone recommend a silicone seal for around the false bottom.\Thx

It looks like Blichmann changed the diameter of the 15 Gallon Boiler pot which has changed the false bottle size.

The 15 Gallon original version was called a G1 looks to be 15.6” (so 396mm, the one I have) and new version G2 is approx. 1/4 inch bigger so around 6mm.

From the Blichmann website is reads:

Not sure if that helps you now but if its the G2 version you have it might be worth checking if you can change it for G1 version.

Back