Wilko Hoppy Copper

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElvisIsBeer

Reaction score
I've just bought a 40pt Wilko Hoppy Copper tin, so I've got more than I need.....given the kit I currently have. http://go.redirectingat.com/?id=824...://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/index.php&xtz=0

So, I'm thinking of:

a) splitting the tin, freezing one half, and making up as spec, but using some medium spray malt; or

b) tipping it all in - no more sugar and making a short brew.

Swings and roundabouts? I'm all for experimenting.

Steve

I did a hoppy copper a good while ago when i did kits. A good kit to tamper with, ie adding various hops,brewing it short and adding spraymalt etc. Whilst it says hoppy copper it isn't actually that hoppy!

I did a hoppy copper a good while ago when i did kits. A good kit to tamper with, ie adding various hops,brewing it short and adding spraymalt etc. Whilst it says hoppy copper it isn't actually that hoppy!

That's what I was hoping to hear. Thanks.

I use Wilko Hoppy Copper as a cheap base kit for tweaking and experimenting, when it's on sale. If it isn't, I'll use Ritchie's Simply Pale Ale which is not much more expensive and produces a better beer in its unchanged form, imho.

Brewed it short to 26 pints on 12 Feb.

Siphoned to a 20pt cube and 6 x 1 pt glass bottles today. Added a dash of maple syrup to bottles and cube. Tasted nice when I copped for a gobful when siphoning.

Will report back in a few weeks.

Or a bit sooner....

It looks quite cloudy in the bottles, but reasonably clear in the cube. The cube is definitely gassing up well.

The missus is panicking that the kitchen is going to be redecorated in a shade of nutty amber. :)

It looks quite cloudy in the bottles, but reasonably clear in the cube.
You only left your beer in the FV for approx seven days as far as I can see, that's why it's cloudy. You haven't even given the yeast chance to clean up properly
If you leave your beer a minimum of 14 days before you bottle, with the last two days in a cool place, better still include a racking stage after about 8 days, you will end up with almost clear beer, but still enough yeast to carb up your bottles etc, it just takes longer. And a further benefit is you end up with less wasted beer at the pour stage.

Good advice. I'm learning that patience and not always following label instructions is the way to go.

I'll try and save the cube & hope the bottles don't explode. (-:

Good advice. I'm learning that patience and not always following label instructions is the way to go.

I'll try and save the cube & hope the bottles don't explode. (-:
First kit instructions are usually geared to get you to drink your beer asap, but not at it's best as you are finding out.
Anyway if the SG of your beer bottomed out (same reading on two days) before you packaged it then, in theory, you should not have any explosions. :eek:.
The often quoted norm on this forum for your brewing process is 2+2+2 i.e. weeks in fermentation, carbonation and conditioning. However that's only a starting point and you will find what time periods suits you best, as we all have done, with usually the last period extended most .
I suggest you give your beer 2 weeks in carbing, then another 2 weeks somewhere cold before you try one. If it ain't cleared leave it longer until it has before opening one. If you are concerned about gushers due to overcarbonation (if the primary hadn't finished) refrigerate before opening. Then forget all about it for another month or longer. I did this kit some time back and found it came into its own about two months on from bottling.

I'm halfway through my barrel of this which I racked off on 30th Dec after 2 weeks in the FV. It's turned out to be the clearest beer I've brewed to date. Doesn't taste hoppy but a nice flavour served well whilst chilled in my garage. Will defo do again, but looking to tweak. So I am up for suggestions...

Good luck!

I'm halfway through my barrel of this which I racked off on 30th Dec after 2 weeks in the FV. It's turned out to be the clearest beer I've brewed to date. Doesn't taste hoppy but a nice flavour served well whilst chilled in my garage. Will defo do again, but looking to tweak. So I am up for suggestions...

Good luck!
Could probably use many types of hops with it as it just isn't really hoppy at all on it's own.Experiment away:lol:.
Use spraymalt instead of sugar and perhaps steep a small amount of caramalt or similar to add some maltyness as well! If i remember when i did mine i stuck some golden syrup in as well!

Latest posts

Back