Suicidal Hydrometers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doglaner

Reaction score
There seems to be a thing in my garage affecting hydrometers, who are not just content with measuring specific gravity, but who also want to investigate the acceloratory properties of the more general kind of gravity, too. It rarely ends well.

Special offer idea for the clumsy homebrewer, buy 10 hydrometer and get the 11th free! I'm on my fourth hydrometer and third thermometer in just over a year so i feel your pain!

I find leaving my hyrdrometer in the kitchen somewhere... usually with a maturing sample of whatever is going left in it to be an adequate storage method... and only a minor barrier to a happy marriage.

Standard brewing hydrometers (wilcos etc) fit perfectly into a 500ml Coca Cola bottle. Part fill it with starsan to make the bottle weighty enough to not be easily knocked over, and if you cap it and give it a shake your hydrometer is sanitised and ready to pop straight into the fv.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I've learned (the hard way) to never have fewer than two hydrometers in the house.

I'll generally leave it standing up in the trial jar - far less chance of it going for an impromptu trip onto the floor tiles...

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

i had the same problem with my ad-hoc beer crate patio brewery platforms and 'no roll' brewers thermometers (glass n spirit)

no roll my ****!! every brewday i would pop one down on a brew level only to see it disappear out of the corner of my eye.

some folk say an eti thermapen is an expensive thermometer. mine was a bloody bargain compared to the minimum of one break per brew..

I later spotted the answer in the background of another brewers posted pic, a lil loop of string tied round the top knoble, so you can simply hang the thermometer up between uses.. , Obvious once seen DOH!!

while attaching a string or line to a hydrometer permanently would not be a good idea, how about a knot in a lazzy band tho wrap one side of the knot round the neck and hang it up by the loop t'other side of the knot ;)

Latest posts

Back