Modification to CO2 injection point.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When I got back home from a few days away I discovered that the King Keg was a bit low on pressure; despite three days without having to deliver a pint! :doh:

The keg is fairly low down (evaporation? :whistle:) so I wasn't too keen to use another CO2 capsule to give it the required pressure.

Instead, I decided to install a device that would allow me to pressurise the keg with a bike pump.

So, I sank a couple of pints (just to make sure that the pressure really was low) and got to making the bit of kit in the photographs.

I think the photographs are self explanatory (I admit that my work could have been a lot neater) but the gadget works!

I drilled a 10mm hole in the top of the applicator, screwed an ordinary Schrader Valve holder into the hole, cut the end of an old CO2 capsule, married the two up to each other, sealed the joint between the two elements and the carrier with epoxy putty and epoxy glue and allowed it to set.

I can now use natural carbonation for the first 5-8 litres ...

... a CO2 capsule for the next 5-8 litres ...

... and then use a bike pump to empty my King Keg.

My theory is that the CO2 on top of the beer in the keg will protect it from any wild yeasts or other stuff introduced by the bike pump. :thumb:

IMG_0115.jpg

IMG_0117.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

IMG_0119.jpg

Back