Can you use a sieve to strain hops?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamie93

Reaction score
I am thinking of making my own beer from scratch for the first time, after a long stint of using kits. I've found a straightforward recipe. I'm just wondering if you can use an ordinary kitchen sieve to drain the hops?.

I am thinking of making my own beer from scratch for the first time, after a long stint of using kits. I've found a straightforward recipe. I'm just wondering if you can use an ordinary kitchen sieve to drain the hops?.

No not really but just line it with a piece of Muslin and you will be fine.:thumb:

Yes you can depending on how you do it.

If you pour the wort into teh FV just pour it through a sanitised sieve and it will catch the gunk fine.. whatever ends up in the FV do not worry about it

Thanks response. However I'm relatively new to brewing and I don't know what teh fv means?

Where can I get a large one from?

Depends on how fine you want the sieve. The salad strainers from ikea are great for resting your BIAB on and straining.
I use a paint straining bag for boiling hops in and then again to strain into fv after 24hrs in the chill cube to help get rid of trub.

I just use a biggish size one but you can get a massive one from ikea. The handle things pull out so you can use it on 50L kettles

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/...-colander-stainless-steel-black-art-50103755/

idealisk-colander-stainless-steel-black__63109_pe170495_s4.jpg

loads of places wilko or buy a sheet of muslin (ebay)that you can put over the whole top of your bottling FV then tie round with string and pour you beer through, or use a muslin bag to contain your hops. Personally i throw my hops in and strain through muslin when the times up, then cold crash for a week or more and bottle. Its sometimes called butter muslin.:thumb:

I tried all sorts of sieves and then I found the IKEA one. Cheap as chips and absolutely superb. The only downside is going into IKEA to buy one and coming out with loads of other stuff you don't really need.

On the upside, there's hotdogs. :thumb:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if your dumping flower or pellet hops in the brew to float free and intend to drain through a valve and strain with a sieve you could be in trouble with hops clogging your valve port.

for a small stove top brew pouring the kettle through a sieve is good enough imho
While there are brew-toys in abundance many brewers make spectacular beers with the most basic equipment going, the only way to learn which method of brewing would suit you is to get stuck in and have a go which will join a lot of the 'dots' together too.

Latest posts

Back