Ideas for a Woodfordes Sundew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I opened the first Tesco 'closing down sale' Sundews today. One of the EKG batch
Clear, good lasting head, a bit sweet as I know it would be given the FG, but the dreaded 'twang' is present. After 7 weeks in the bottle there shouldn't be any :nono:, in fact after zero weeks there shouldn't be any
Since restarting homebrewing this is the first kit beer I have done in which I am truly disappointed. And I would be even more disappointed if I have paid full whack for it. :-?

I opened the first Tesco 'closing down sale' Sundews today. One of the EKG batch
Clear, good lasting head, a bit sweet as I know it would be given the FG, but the dreaded 'twang' is present. After 7 weeks in the bottle there shouldn't be any :nono:, in fact after zero weeks there shouldn't be any
Since restarting homebrewing this is the first kit beer I have done in which I am truly disappointed. And I would be even more disappointed if I have paid full whack for it. :-?

To be honest I am getting the same, a twang and not really all that impressed. Maybe I had to high hopes for this one because it sounded good. I id 3 different batches, one as is, one with Saaz and one wit Willamette, haven't tried the last one but have a bottle in the fridge for either tonight or tomorrow.

. :-?
Update.
Well I've opened the second bottle, but this time it's one from the Cascade batch.
Twang is much less noticeable.
Not sure what to make of it really.
Given these separate beers started life in the same FV and were then split for dry hopping, maybe EKG accentuates the twang, and Cascade doesn't and might even mask it.
Anyway half the batch has turned out reasonably OK but I still wouldn't buy this kit again.

Anyway half the batch has turned out reasonably OK but I still wouldn't buy this kit again.

I live in hope of getting a great result from tweaking a kit but I've not got there yet. Like you I often split a 2-can kit and use different hops in each half, sometimes with some extra steeped grains. I've had some good results but not great results, most have been OK but slightly disappointing.

Maybe our standards are just too high if we've done AG and/or Extract brewing? But I don't understand why you shouldn't be able to tweak a kit to a relatively high standard.

I've just done the ultimate tweak: a Wilko's Golden with a mini-mash with hop additions. I have high expectations, but we'll see - I'll report back.

I've just done the ultimate tweak: a Wilko's Golden with a mini-mash with hop additions. I have high expectations, but we'll see - I'll report back.
I hope for your sake the Wilko Golden is not just one can of Sundew with a different label (both being Muntons)
Anyway, whatever it is, I do hope it works out :thumb:

I dry hopped with 50g Cascade 8 days in and barrelled after 14.Was absolutely delightful. Brewed at 20 degrees Celsius or thereabouts. Second brew for me and considerably nicer than the Bulldog Evil Dog double IPA that I'm now working through. Luckily my Canadian Blonde with 100g Falconers Flight is already tasting great after 4 days in the barrel so at least I have that to look forward to...

M y sundew has been bottled 3 weeks now and i'm not impressed really, sweet tasting and a bit under carbed too. Hoping it will improve after 4-6 weeks in garage. Left for 3 weeks in heated fv but only got down to 1014, another 2 weeks in house to carb up at 18-20deg. I'm glad i didnt pay full whack for it.

Latest posts

Back