Liquid Yeasts

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MEB

Landlord.
Reaction score
I recently added my wyeast smack pack of thames valley to 2.5L of 1030 wort made up with 1015 wort from a brew and a big dollop of honey.
I have at least quadrupled the amount of yeast that i normally get from 2L of 1020 wort made from water and spraymalt. I also made up a 2L starter for my recent 40L batch of porter. On the advice from my local master brewer Dennis Fring. I made this up with 2L of the wort from 10 mins into the boil. As i need to leave my wort overnight now to cool down i pitched the starter the following morning and the lag time was minutes. Adding a starter that is really fermenting well makes a HUGE difference to the lag time. As does over pitching.

Combining this method with my new brewing set-up i seem to have ironed out most of the issues i had with the previous set-up.
I'm going to try the same 1030 wort made up with spraymalt and honey and add my last little bit of London III yeast. If it does the same as the Thames Valley did and vastly increase in quantity i'll be a very happy boy. :D

Who came up with the 2L of 1020 as a measure for growing on wyeast packs anyway? 2.5L of 1030 seems to work lots better, stave off infection more(due to the increase of CO2 production i reckon) and give you a greater quantity of yeast. The addition of honey is a tip from my local Master Brewer dood Dennis. As was making a 2L starter and letting it go for 24 hrs before pitching. He says you should always pitch yeast that is fully fermenting at the time of pitching. After giving it a go i'll never go back to my old methods. :cool:

i've still got a smackpack of dry irish ale yeast in my fridge that really should be used within the next month... i'll be giving your method a crack when i get to it mate... nice one! :thumb:

Back