YEAST!!! I've Gone Full Circle...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarnsleyBrewer

Reaction score
YEAST!!! I've Gone Full Circle...Back to Safale-04 or Safale-05 :D

Since getting back into brewing after a short break I've done the rounds trying various yeasts...I've done Brewlabs, Wyeast, Windsor, and a few others and guess what? good old S-04 blows them away. :clap:

Good Points...
1. Vigorous reliable fermentation.
2. No escaping from FV (might do with a Guinness type brew)
3. 4 -6 day fermentation
4. Crystal clear after 2 weeks
5. Great for bottled beers (solid sediment)
6. Great all round yeast :clap:

Bad Points...
1. NONE

Worst yeast I've ever used is Windsor, Escapes the FV, bad to bottle (loose sediment) and a B**tard to clear. :nono:

Anyone agree??
John...

I like the reliability of s04 I agree with the good points you've listed. I do want to experiment with liquid yeasts though - it's one of my "I want to's" for this year.

I've done liquid Wyeast and Brewlabs split into starters using dried spray malt, no problems with fermenting except for the fact that it's real brewery yeast with a 10-12" head formation whilst fermenting, great if you have loads of head space but not so good if you only have standard size equipment.

Wyeast 1469 (TTL) was a nice yeast, good solid sediment but that also tried to escape the fermenter.
Airlock.jpg

Escaping.jpg

John

falafael said:
wow..thats crazy!! :shock:

The wife went crazy, I got in from work 16hrs after pitching the yeast went to check on my baby brew and the lobby carpet was a right mess, I got a right tongue lashing!! :)

Windsor did the same on a dark ale type brew.

John

I've had problems with S-04 going ballistic in the past too. Fitting a blow off tube helps. :thumb:

Only problem I've had with S-04 was on a Guinness clone fernented in a 5 gallon bucket, went over slightly.

SO4 is no use in a pale ale . .. SO5 is a B*sta*rd to clear. . . . .. Nottingham is good but a bit too neutral . . . . . Windsor is spot on in pretty much any beer, and not that difficult to clear IME . . . . Climbing out of the FV I would question Fermentation Temps . . . I've seen it happen in a 2.5BBL fermenter when that got rather warm but not at the usual temperatures

Aleman said:
SO4 is no use in a pale ale . .. SO5 is a B*sta*rd to clear. . . . .. Nottingham is good but a bit too neutral . . . . . Windsor is spot on in pretty much any beer, and not that difficult to clear IME . . . . Climbing out of the FV I would question Fermentation Temps . . . I've seen it happen in a 2.5BBL fermenter when that got rather warm but not at the usual temperatures

Why no good in a pale ale Tony?? :hmm:

The best thing for me about Windsor was the fruitiness it added to the brew, cow bag clearing and not very good to bottle with.

John

barnsleybrewer said:
Bet that was a stout... :hmm:
Indeed it was. Fermentation kept at 19deg so temp not responsible for the climb out. I put it down to good aeration :D

The flavour profile just isn't right . . . it's good in dark beers and even milds, but pale ales, bitters and the like its not quite 'right'

I love Windsor for that fruitiness, SO4 promises the same but then leaves you high and dry . . . . I find dropping the temp to 2C at the end of fermentation pretty much drops most yeasts . . . . Stir in 30ml of aux finings, crash cool, and leave for a couple of days . . . more or less clear beer from the FV . . . . . . Both my ordinary and Premium bitters were done with Windsor and there was no problem with the bottles of that I took to NCBA or The Crown Afterward

Stouts are renowned for 'enthusiastic' ferments have a look at my Imperial Russian Stout Brewday and you will see that I too have experienced that . . . Windsor ;)

Well ive gone back to S-04 for ale as the Wyeast smackpack Thames valley 1275 has proved to be a disaster. Still got a DJ full of an ale thats been fermenting since the 4th of Jan & its only dropped by 10 points.
AG#18 is also very slow. Been fermenting since the 11th. After a week i tipped another 1275 starter in but it had no effect. But with a little S-o4 added earlier this week its sped up a bit. Thats now down to 1017 from 1045.
Ive put the last 3 starters ive got into a DJ with 500g of spraymalt & its hardly done a thing.
Either its been a bad pack or ive done something drastically wrong.

Oh the ease of dried yeast sachets.

MartialAnt said:
Oh the ease of dried yeast sachets.

That's what I like too, easy to use, cheap @ 90p, no growing of yeast slopes with the view to splitting into more starters, no need for more spray malt for starters, no pissing about 2 days before brewing with a starter.

Packet yeasts have come on a long way since the 80s & 90s. :clap:

This was my most explosive ferment, 1.060 98% pale, 2% crystal

DSC00154.jpg

DSC00158.jpg

Latest posts

Back