YEAST!!! I've Gone Full Circle...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find S04 dull and uninspiring. Windsor makes me fart. Nottingham is too neutral for my tastes.

I use liquid yeasts all the time now. Have no troubles with them at all.
In my collection is Ringwood, London III & Thames Valley. These are my standard yeasts. I have tried others but keep coming back to these three. In my opinion dried yeast has no-where near the complex flavours that liquid yeasts have.

One thing alters the taste of a brew more than any other component and that is the yeast used.

Wez said:
DSC00158.jpg

WOW, At least you had the common sense to have it in a tub.LoL :thumb:

John

MEB said:
I find S04 dull and uninspiring. Windsor makes me fart. Nottingham is too neutral for my tastes.

In my collection is Ringwood, London III & Thames Valley. These are my standard yeasts. I have tried others but keep coming back to these three. In my opinion dried yeast has no-where near the complex flavours that liquid yeasts have.

One thing alters the taste of a brew more than any other component and that is the yeast used.

I agree with you on the Windsor with the farting, I forgot about that, had some real fun at home and work. :rofl:

barnsleybrewer said:
What were you brewing, type of yeast were you using, how far did it rise? kin-hell. :shock:

John

It was choc treacle stout with S04, there was plenty of cleaning up but the resulting pint made it all worth while :D

A T said:
barnsleybrewer said:
What were you brewing, type of yeast were you using, how far did it rise? kin-hell. :shock:

John

It was choc treacle stout with S04, there was plenty of cleaning up but the resulting pint made it all worth while :D

Is the recipe posted? wouldn't mind a bash at that :drink:

I have found that im generally using S-04 mos of the time intermixed with the odd nottingham , Not got around to trying any of the liquid yeasts yet but their is plenty of time for that as i have only done 5 or 6 AG brews so far.

barnsleybrewer said:
I agree with you on the Windsor with the farting, I forgot about that, had some real fun at home and work. :rofl:

Yeh! What is it with Windsor and farting-i was even farting in my sleep and waking up the missus. :rofl:
Shame cos it's got a nice flavour profile :(

I have real trouble planning brew days and that means they're not conducive to growing liquid yeasts. I also don't like the costs attributed to using spray malt to make starters and I brew too sporadically to freeze wort for future use.
This means that with regularity S04 digs me out of the hole liquid yeast can't fill. I started brewing with S04, and as such, I find it hard to find flavour flaws with it, that and the fact I wouldn't know what I'm looking for at present.

Having said that, I recently started using liquid yeasts, and they are a world apart from dry yeast IMO. They offer a flavour profile which I simply can't get with dry yeast. Some of the beers I'm making I've made 10-15 times before with dry yeast but using liquid yeast the beers is far superior and very different IMO.

That said I'll always have dry ready for action :cool:

MEB said:
barnsleybrewer said:
Yeh! What is it with Windsor and farting-i was even farting in my sleep and waking up the missus. :rofl:
Shame cos it's got a nice flavour profile :(

LoL :D I was the same in bed, wife said they were loud farts with a fruitiness.... You've brought it all back to me now.... Next brew is Windsor......Parp!! :oops:

John

Can't beat a good 3am farting session.

"Sheet Wrigglers" we call them, the sheet is always an inch further down the bed after I do one :lol:

barnsleybrewer said:
A T said:
barnsleybrewer said:

John

Is the recipe posted? wouldn't mind a bash at that :drink:

http://taipanbrewhouse.blogspot.com/200 ... chive.html

That's not the original recipe, i can't find that but i think it was just pale malt instead on mild ale malt, i'm sure somebody else has the recipe cause it's a real good one ;)

MEB said:

I agree with everything you have written MEB...including the farting. :D

For me ...Ringwood..Used to use it extensively...But switched to SO4 for ease of use...never had a really good brew since I stopped using Ringwood...and I never had to rouse it...It was always predicatble....So I'm going back.

Vossy1 said:
I have real trouble planning brew days and that means they're not conducive to growing liquid yeasts. I also don't like the costs attributed to using spray malt to make starters and I brew too sporadically to freeze wort for future use.
This means that with regularity S04 digs me out of the hole liquid yeast can't fill. I started brewing with S04, and as such, I find it hard to find flavour flaws with it, that and the fact I wouldn't know what I'm looking for at present.
I keep wanting to use liquid yeast and yet I have the same problem of TIME. Quite often I fly home and I may only be there for 14days and then have to shoot of again and that is no real time to get a couple of batches on and bottle , PLUS get a starter underway. Bit of a bugger really as I see it as a weak spot in my brewing. Maybe next winter when I have a chuck of time off.

P2

Oggys Bar said:
I agree with everything you have written MEB...including the farting. :D

For me ...Ringwood..Used to use it extensively...But switched to SO4 for ease of use...never had a really good brew since I stopped using Ringwood...and I never had to rouse it...It was always predicatble....So I'm going back.

Ringwood is quickly becoming one of my standby-all time fav yeasts. When i first got this and grew it on to split it always needed rousing. But from the second generation on it hasn't. It slows down to a crawl after the initial fermentation but always finishes off. I've used it in my last batch of Porter and i would say that it's the yeast i will always use in the Porter recipe now. London III is another fine yeast, i like this in Pale Ales. Thames Valley is the big one-loads of flavour and great for strong Ales-better than ESB IMO. I wouldn't use it on worts less than 1050 though as it leaves a beer quite thin if mashed at 66C. But if you've mashed at 68C then it works just fine at mellowing out the sweetness.

Those of you who say you don't have the time for liquid yeasts-stop kidding yourselves, stop being lazy and start making beer that is different from a clone recipe with S04 :roll: Using liquid yeast is no more hassle than using dried. Especially if you take into account the amazing flavour profiles it adds to your brews. IMO going to the bother of doing an AG brew and then just tipping in some S04 is like buying a sports car and then insisting on putting rubbish cheap tyres on it and running it around town at 30mph everyday. :roll:

Latest posts

Back