Barons - Pale Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alanywiseman.

Landlord.
Reaction score
Cheers GA.

Started the Baron Pale Ale kit the other day. These are more expensive at about £30 but is looking like it is worth it. The kit comes with Fuggle hop pellets, Yeast, Benonite and 7.5L of concentrated wort. This is the big difference between these and most other kits. Baron supply concentrated wort and not malt extract that is hopped with hop extracts. this did lead to an amazing tasting wort pre fermentation. So here is what I did:

15/3/13: Mixed 3.5-4L of hot water with the benonite in a bucket and added the 7.5L of worts. rinsed the bag the wort comes in with some water. I binned the hop pellets as the smelt of cheese and made a hop tea with 15g Fuggles cones which got added to the bucket. topped up to 22.5L and sprinkled yeast on top. I repleaced the kit yeast with s-04 as I wanted something quite clean. Yeast pitched at 24C and OG 1.052.

Signs of fermentation 3-4 hours later.

Day 10: Signs of fermentation seemed to have stopped to took a SG reading with the hope of bottleing day 14/15. SG 1.022. Kit suggests a FG 1.018-1.012 and I was hoping closer to 1.012 as I prefer my pale ales drier.

Day 12: SG 1.020 no change to give it a stir and 1.5 tsp of nutrient.

Day 19: SG 1.018 seems to be going again but due to life I am forced to bottle in a few days time/

Day 23: SG 1.016 Happy to see the SG has come down. Have to bottle it today, have no choice so have been conservative with the priming sugar just incase it goes much further. 10L are in mini kegs and the rest is in bottles. I have to say it is one of the best tasting beers I have had at this stage. The only one that comes close is the Brupaks Beers of the World Christmas Ale (An amazing pint). Going to give it 2 weeks in the warm then at least 2 weeks cold.

I will report back when I open the first bottle.

Has anyone drank one of these yet, my local had the kit on offer for £20 so I am wondering if it's worth a go or not. Reading up reviews on the internet, people seem happy with them (while they are brewing) but I cannot really seem to find much on the finished product.

Will post this on the other baron kit reviews, as they were all on offer:D

Cheers

Sorry about not posting the tasting notes. Completely slipped my mind. The Pale Ale was very nice, well worth the full price. It has a nice light malty backbone leading to a bitterness from the hops but finishes dry making you go back for more. Personelly i found it a little sweet and would add more of the fuggles but then again I am a bit of a hop head :D

Latest posts

Back