going corney

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druid

Reaction score
Well I have decided that over the next couple months I am going to build a kegerator. While looking at the various parts needed, I am realizing that there are as many companies making parts as there are beer drinkers. The one part that has me concerned is the actual faucets as they have the potential to leak/break etc. As the world is right now...it seems pretty much everything is made in China. Can I trust faucets made there...or should I just by from local suppliers that would at least offer some kind of guarantee. Im sure they are also buying from China...but at least have a better idea of what companies are legit.

I hate buying things 2x.......

I'm thinking about kegging at the moment. These taps get good reviews. They are forward sealing so they don't retain beer in the tap which drips out slowly or goes manky if not used regularly

I built myself a kegerator not long back and had the same concerns. I was going to buy my taps from a UK supplier which would have meant spending about twice as much as buying them from China. In the end I bought 3 taps from China for just over £20 each and they are spot on. They are forward sealing stainless steel and you can change the spout on them. I'd highly recommend these taps, they have the spring inside them as well.

20170812_094057-453x604.jpg

20170817_134555-600x800.jpg

Thanks so much for the replies!!! :thumb:

I had a chance to read up in the Intertap faucets....and found a Canadian supplier. All being well, I will have my wine barrel home today...and the taps and tower could be in the mail by weeks end. This is what I am beginning to aquire the pieces for

https://uniquehunters.com/recycled-...-home-taste-medieval-might-magic-choice-ales/

With any luck, it should hold 2 cornies and a CO2 bottle minimum...with the possibility of 3...time will tell.

imho the #1 feature you want from a tap in a home environment is a removable spout. I had a keg of overly sweet enhanced kit ginger beer on keg for a LONG time , over 18 months.. way too sweet to sup, but it did add a lil something to a stir fry ;)
one day I reached out to pour a 1/4 pint for a meal and nothing flowed. Further investigation revealed the tap spout had gotten bunged up with a flourishing population of microlife that must have thrived on the irregular dowsing of ginger beer and its residue ..

Since that discovery i have pulled my spouts off for a soak clean after every serving session!!

Granted such a long time on keg is exceptional, and with good sanitation practices your beerline and tap upto the valve is a closed system which unlike a commercial set up will not require regular line cleaning as mid clean unsanitary keg changes are unlikely to occur ;) But the easily overlooked spouts of taps can harbour nasties.. and without a removable spout you may need to resort to a bucket and squeezy bottle to flush out your spouts and or buy silicone boots to cap your spouts between pours to keep out the fungus gnats..

I just came back from my local and they have these tap brush/plugs that they put in every night. Its a neat little unit that they dip in sanitizer and the brush goes up into the the end of the faucet, and then the cap seals the unit nicely. I think I will look into those for sure. I got the barrel home...at first glance I think it will hold 2 5 gal conrnies, the CO2 tank, and a couple cooling blocks. I think I am going to like this project.....

Latest posts

Back