Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > General Beer Brewing Discussion > Cold crashing

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-10-2017, 10:24 AM   #11
Simonh82
Senior Member
 
Simonh82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: London
Posts: 860
Liked 275 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 194

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by big yogi View Post
Guys, when cold crashing do you keep it in the primary or secondary?
Yes, I've never yet used a secondary vessel.
__________________
Brewing -
Infinite Spunky Cage
Drinking -
Tony's Porter
Jeremy Corbeeryn (Hoppy Red Ale)
Planning
Golden Challenge (British Golden Ale)
---------------------------------
Rules are for the guidance of wise men but the obedience of fools. [Anon]
Simonh82 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 07:18 PM   #12
big yogi
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Aberdeen
Posts: 38
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonh82 View Post
Yes, I've never yet used a secondary vessel.
cheers mate, i read that you put into a secondary.

My way of thinking, the less you have to touch it, the less chance for infection
big yogi is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 07:41 PM   #13
foxy
Senior Member
 
foxy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 275
Liked 78 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WierdFish View Post
I have a brew that's at the end of primary now and am considering cold crashing. I've never done it before so am reading this thread with interest. I have a brew fridge currently at 24oC

My plan is, finish primary, cold crash for a couple of days, transfer to secondary FV and add priming sugar and immediately bottle. Then back in the fridge at 22oC for a few weeks before sampling.

Does that sound about right?
That's about it.
foxy is offline  
WierdFish Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 08:08 PM   #14
Gunge
Senior Member
 
Gunge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,417
Liked 693 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 829

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by big yogi View Post
cheers mate, i read that you put into a secondary.

My way of thinking, the less you have to touch it, the less chance for infection
I've never used a secondary. Unless it's going to be sat on the yeast layer at the bottom of the original FV forever, I can't think of any reason whatsoever to fiddle with it and open up avenues for infection. And I can't see how removing it from the yeast layer hastens clarification; it can only disturb the clarifying process that is already underway. Enlightenment, someone? Not that it would change my routine mind, it's how I've always done it with zero problems and no infections, ever.
Gunge is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 10:12 PM   #15
Bigcol49
Senior Member
 
Bigcol49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Doncaster
Posts: 1,247
Liked 682 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by big yogi View Post
Guys, when cold crashing do you keep it in the primary or secondary?
Yes

Some cold crash in a secondary vessel, others simply reduce the temperature of the primary vessel after fermentation is complete.

Colin
Bigcol49 is offline  
big yogi Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 10:37 PM   #16
terrym
Member
 
terrym's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: North Sussex
Posts: 2,849
Liked 1439 Times on 1037 Posts
Likes Given: 645

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunge View Post
And I can't see how removing it from the yeast layer hastens clarification; it can only disturb the clarifying process that is already underway. Enlightenment, someone?
I usually rack off, usually about the 10 day stage.
Although the fermentation is substantially finished at that stage, and the beer is clearing there are occasional CO2 bubbles rising from the bottom of the FV and they drag settled yeast with them, that dissipates into the beer, tending to keep it cloudy.
If you rack the beer off then there are no bubbles, and the yeast settles. I usually leave it another 6 days before packaging, when it's almost clear.
So in my view you get clearer beer faster.
And I've not had any signs of infections or the dreaded oxidation as a result of racking off (so far), so for me its worth doing.
Well that's my take on it.
__________________
Formerly likened to the Great Sages of Yesteryear, but now merely a Random Bloke on the Internet. How times change.
terrym is offline  
big yogi Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2017, 08:48 AM   #17
big yogi
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Aberdeen
Posts: 38
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcol49 View Post
Yes

Some cold crash in a secondary vessel, others simply reduce the temperature of the primary vessel after fermentation is complete.

Colin
Thanks, i will keep in primary for 10 days then crash it for 2.
big yogi is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2017, 09:00 AM   #18
big yogi
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Aberdeen
Posts: 38
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunge View Post
I've never used a secondary. Unless it's going to be sat on the yeast layer at the bottom of the original FV forever, I can't think of any reason whatsoever to fiddle with it and open up avenues for infection. And I can't see how removing it from the yeast layer hastens clarification; it can only disturb the clarifying process that is already underway. Enlightenment, someone? Not that it would change my routine mind, it's how I've always done it with zero problems and no infections, ever.
thanks mate
big yogi is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cold Crashing Nicknacknoo General Beer Brewing Equipment Discussion 10 29-07-2016 04:13 PM
Cold crashing? Halfacrem General Beer Brewing Discussion 8 16-07-2016 10:01 PM
Cold crashing before SF? Clydebrewer General Beer Brewing Discussion 7 25-01-2016 07:28 AM
Cold crashing in the FV perryni General Beer Brewing Discussion 2 16-02-2014 12:26 PM
Dry hop while cold crashing Svarrogh General Beer Brewing Discussion 14 24-07-2012 09:36 AM

Newest Threads