Buffalo boiler not heating

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerCat

Landlord.
Reaction score
East and West Grimblestbottom under the rye
So just bought a new 40l bufallo gl349 and it turns on but does not heat. The green light is on and thats it. I have tried presssing the reset button on the bottom but it does not click as the manual says it should. I presumem this is a faulty boiler and will have toi be returned. Anyone familiar with these?

if new best to simply return it imho, any fix you attempt will invalidate the warranty so its probably best to suffer the delay of the return.

But if there are no 'warranty void if removed' stickers, or tamper evident seals it might be worth while to UNPLUG and pull the base just to check a connection has not come loose in transit while unlikely it would be a quick n easy fix..

Thanks Fil. Being a compulsive fiddler i have the strong urge to take it apart as feeling desperate to use it.. Your right though i am sure its best to return it and be patient. I want to mod it but want to start with one that works. There are no warranty void stickers on the unit but you need to take the feet off to get to the screws and worried i will mark it in the process.

I've opened up a Buffalo boiler before and it is tricky to get the feet off without marking them. The screw is hidden inside the feet and the bottom of the foot forms a cap enclosing the screws. The seal line you need to get through is almost imperceptible and I spent some time hacking away at mine in the wrong place.

BTW, if you encounter the dreaded Buffalo boil cut out there is a very simple fix, if you are prepared to monitor/manage the temperature yourself. When you do open it up, just loosen the screw that holds the temperature probe against the base (silver torpedo shaped thing on a curly wire) and move it away from the base. Doing this means I can happily maintain a rolling boil in mine but I do need to keep an eye on the temperature myself if I am heating strike water for instance and switch it off when it is hot enough.

Thanks Simon. I had a look at the feet and thought this is not gonna be mark free. Been onto the seller and he is going to replace it but away until the end of the month. Just my luck. At least will give me a chance to get more parts. I have the feeling the element might be knackered.

Test it for the cut out problem before you get a full kettle full of wort which you can't boil. Like I said, it's an easy fix but not when it's already full of hot liquid.

Latest posts

Back