BUILDING A MLT

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vickymetaute

Reaction score
hello
I need help PLEASE. I am building a mash laughter tun with a cylindrical igloo 5gal. I am thinking in putting 9" ss false bottom. But apart from that i am having problems in how to convert it to a MLT. I need to know the measurements for the ball valve and so on to convert it and maybe where to buy them? THANKS :pray:

you could use:

15mm ball valves and 15mm tank connector with compression fittings both available from screwfix..

hole saws, electric drill, solder n gas gun, 15 mm blacksmith drill bit (ebay £5ish)

copper pipe 15mm

if you poke your pipe into the tank connector it will only go in so far.. this u need to drill thru using the 15 mm blacksmith drill bit

fit the copper pipe thru the tank connector you can solder this or just rely on an olive and compression fitting, if your unsure of the length needed leave it long, its easy to cut shorter.. if you dont solder it you can easily replace the pipe if u get it wrong.. but would be best to solder it once you have the measurements down and it matches your strainer.

with your pipework fabricated you can fit it to your tun. u want your tap low but too low.. the tank connector has to fit
measure carefully measure 3 times...

you can mount your tap quite high and employ a syphon effect, after your tap fit a 90 degree bend and more pipe reaching beyond the inside bottom of your tun, as long as the liquid level in the tun is above the tap when u open it it will continue to syphon/drain the tun to the level of the sealed pipe to your strainer.

Latest posts

Back