Dry hop while cold crashing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Svarrogh

Reaction score
So, i want to dry hop and cold crash (2C) at the same time. What do you think about it? Is there a difference with dry hopping on different temperatures? Thanks

I've never tried it so can only guess, my guess being that the warmer the solution the more resins and oils will come out of the hops, so colder may require longer to get the same result :hmm: ...as I said purely guessing.

You are right V! I was wondering how long that will be. Normally it takes 5-7 day at let's say 18C. Could it be 10 day at 2C? :hmm:

I dry hopped it today. I'll leave it at 18C for next 5 days and then crash cool for 3 more days. That will be plenty of time for oils to come out of hops and those 3 days will be enough for WLP002 to settle out. I'll let you know in few days how is the taste :thumb: :cheers:

I did as I said and It came out wonderful! So 5 days at 18C and 3 days of cold crashing works great. Cheers

Svarrogh said:
... 3 days of cold crashing works great. Cheers

:hmm: sorry I'm baffled :wha:

or does it take 3 days to get down to 2deg from 18 :?:

I have chest freezer with controller so it goes down to 2C in about hour and for beer it takes longer (30L of beer). I just leave it on that temp for 3 day so that yeast can drop down and I have nice clear beer while bottling.

unbaffled now :thumb: :lol: it was the 3 day 'crash cool' that threw me :roll:

Aren't the hop oils very volatile? I thought this is why it is difficult to get the aroma to last once bottled.

anthonyUK said:
Aren't the hop oils very volatile? I thought this is why it is difficult to get the aroma to last once bottled.

Sorry, i didn't understand your question. Hop oils are volatile indeed, that is why i wanted to dry hop so that i can get as much aroma that i can. I knew that temperature of beer have impact on hop oils and how fast it will be extracted from hops. It is not same if you leave dry hops 5 day on 18C and on 2C. On lower temp it just needs more time. I found 5 day on 18C and 3 day of cold crush is perfect for me.

Svarrogh said:
anthonyUK said:

Sorry, i didn't understand your question. Hop oils are volatile indeed, that is why i wanted to dry hop so that i can get as much aroma that i can. I knew that temperature of beer have impact on hop oils and how fast it will be extracted from hops. It is not same if you leave dry hops 5 day on 18C and on 2C. On lower temp it just needs more time. I found 5 day on 18C and 3 day of cold crush is perfect for me.
thanks for sharing the results , hope it tastes good ;)

Svarrogh said:
anthonyUK said:

I was thinking if the temperature was too high then the aroma would simple evaporate.
I've not had much success so am always looking for tips to improve :thumb:

Latest posts

Back