home grown hops and alpha acid content

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Problem is Mark there is no way of knowing, without actually measuring it which is involved, requires some nasty chemicals, and some expensive equipment.

Console yourself with the fact that until 'recently' brewers didn't know the alphas of their hops either and still made good beer.

Assuming they are the same as commercial is a safe bet, and if the beer turns out under or over hopped adjust the bitterness next time. . . . I would actually use something like the 10 year average alpha for the variety you are growing, which should be a better value. . . .could ask somewhere like murphy's, simply hops or farams for that information.

I just got around 3kg of hops given out here - no idea of the type.
All packed and sealed and now in the freezer - however i made a 'tea' with a handfull in one of those fresh coffee things where you shove the coffee in and push down the plunger.
Once the 'brew' was made i had a little taste test and while i couldnt detect any sort of flavour apart from hops it was a very strong bitter taste.
So i will be using these for bittering. Just a thought as you could do a few brews to compare with shop bought and home grown to see what the difference was using the same weight in each brew?

I will make my next beer using some of the home grown hops and see what happens. They do smell nice and are frozen now. Will report back on the outcome thanks all :thumb:

Latest posts

Back