Woodford's Wherry

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris1643

Reaction score
Just about to brew a Woodford's Wherry. Does anyone know, can I add simply add more glucose (1kg) to make a stronger brew?? The kit says it should be 4.5% but I was hoping to boost that a little over 5%.

yes you can but it would be better to add light spray malt or brew enhancer

I brewed my last Wherry to full length (23l) with 500g brew enhancer turned out at 4.8% (before priming) - its only just gone into the cellar for conditioning so haven't tried it yet but previous Wherry kit made completely std was pretty good as well.
IMHO a full 1kg extra sugar/brew enhancer might be a bit much.
I have another on the go now same 23litres with 500g brew enhancer and intend to dry hop that one - should be interesting to compare with non-dry hopped.

Good luck
Stuart

On my last wherry I left the strength as standard but chucked in a hop tea on day 2 of fermentation. 15gms Cascade soaked in 1l boiling water for 30 mins improved the beer no-end making it much more like a bitter. :thumb: I'm doing a Sundew at present and fancy adding some dry hops to the conditioning vessel on that one to see how it compares to the tea. :hmm:
Graham

Still hovering just above gravity for bottling but tastes OK so far, fingers crossed, will keep u updated.

This is actually not bad, very strong in alcohol and not as clear in the bottle as I hoped but getting better with age. As it was a cheap kit and I was playing around adding sugar I decided to bottle in 2l plastic Coke bottles which have worked out fine.

Latest posts

Back