Suggestions for my first mead recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WelshPaul

Landlord.
Reaction score
Can anyone help me out with a nice simple recipe for my first attempt at making mead?
We have several kg of honey and 100g of juniper berries that I'd like to add, along with maybe some additional herbs or spices, so can anyone offer any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Well, the most simple mead I've done was just honey, water, and yeast. Are you looking for that simple or wanting to use your juniper berries and such?

I have made some quite passable cyser, which is basically apple juice and honey boiled up together and left for some considerable time... it's really rather good served very cold.

I'm not sure if juniper would work with that but you could certainly consider cinammon, cloves etc..., otherwise, I'd go for as simple as possible to start with.

Yes, that does sound very simple. Do I assume that the ingredients are boiled together, with flavourings being added at different points, and then quickly chilled and then pitched into DJs before the yeast is added?

Actually, I don't boil mine at all. I don't even heat it up. I just use room temp water, the honey, and then rehydrated yeast. I'm partial to EC 1118 yeast. It makes a very dry mead but it has performed well for me.

I do add yeast nutrient in staggered steps and I use pure O2 to oxygenate but you can stir aggressively etc. Honey doesn't have all the nutrients that wort does so you need to help the yeasties along a bit.

Latest posts

Back