Cold crashing before SF?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clydebrewer

Reaction score
Following various threads, I've got that waiting for the yeast to clean things up at the end of primary fermentation is a good thing. Patience is my friend....
My understanding is that cooling the beer at this stage will allow more of the cloud to drop out of suspension before secondary fermentation giving a clearer final product.
Is this correct?
This seems to have been successful with my Canadian Blonde but is it recommended to do this with all brews?
Will there always be enough yeast left in suspension to allow secondary fermentation and carbonation?

Rookie questions I guess but I need to learn
Cheers

Yes, there will be plenty of yeast left in suspension after cold crashing for a few days.
If you cold crashed for longer than a month - more like lagering - you would want to add some yeast at bottling time.

Thanks RedDarren,
I've got a Cooper's Stout finishing primary this week so will chill it for a few days before bottling.
I also have a Cerveza which will be two weeks at 14° this week which had been fermented with lager yeast, should I treat this differently?

Thanks RedDarren,
I've got a Cooper's Stout finishing primary this week so will chill it for a few days before bottling.
I also have a Cerveza which will be two weeks at 14° this week which had been fermented with lager yeast, should I treat this differently?

I'm afraid I don't have any experience with lager brewing mate, sure someone will post something helpful soon though :-)

Hi!
I make sure that fermentation is over and then move the FV into the cold for two weeks before bottling. If you are using a true lager yeast, this shouldn't make any difference - just make sure that fermentation is over. Lager yeasts mean low and slow fermentation.

Latest posts

Back