Brewnight: Rhubarb and ginger TC

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roddy

Landlord.
Reaction score
Evening all

So... off to Morrisons on the hunt for the juice I was after (Apple, rhubarb and ginger).. but they didn't have the 20L I was after

Unperturbed by this travesty.. I persevered with 6L of it and 16L of regular apple... the mixture tasted nice just before pitching the yeast. Nice and appley but definitely with a hint of rhubarb and ginger coming through, so high hopes for this one 😀

Stuff:
16L Morrisons basic AJ
6L Morrisons Apple, rhubarb and ginger
1L strong tetley (5 bag)
5tsp pectolase dissolved in 1/2 cup water
Cider yeast with sweetener (e950) from ebay

How:
Bung all juice into sanitised FV
Add pectolase
Add strong tea (stewed for 10 mins)
Kettleful of boiling water
Top up with cold tap to 25L

Temp 20deg
Sg 1.038

Will prime with 325g brown sugar dissolved in warm water

Est abv at 1.000 = 5.66% (includes priming sugar)

66bfa97b52a1119d27d4b3bc50071a0e.jpg

Simples 😃

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Good effort mate - can't help fearing the shortfall in ARG will lose its impact but either way - this will be a good brew me thinks ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good effort mate - can't help fearing the shortfall in ARG will lose its impact but either way - this will be a good brew me thinks ?

Aye, pretty relaxed with this one though, was considering just a straight apple TC anyhow

If this one turns out well, I'll think about a 100% arg TC

Aye, pretty relaxed with this one though, was considering just a straight apple TC anyhow

Good plan - have you done a straight Apple before ?
My little 5l looks promising - although have to say mate l'm leaning towards your full bang 25l efforts . Same effort as a 5l batch for bigger returns.

Good plan - have you done a straight Apple before ?
My little 5l looks promising - although have to say mate l'm leaning towards your full bang 25l efforts . Same effort as a 5l batch for bigger returns.

Yeh mate, a 25L is worth it so long as you don't go too radical with your juices... 25L is a lot to tip away if it's sh*t (not had that problem wirh TC so far, touch wood!) 😊

Will be watching this with interest, though the reality of it is I really should stick a batch on myself to see how it comes out.

Having not made a TC before what's the ideal conditioning time for these?

Will be watching this with interest, though the reality of it is I really should stick a batch on myself to see how it comes out.

Having not made a TC before what's the ideal conditioning time for these?

As long as you can hold off drinking it. :lol: or about 2 weeks.

Yeh what Razor said haha

2 weeks is about the min, but they do taste a bit better after a month or so (on the occasions I still have some to sample by then !)

Now down to 1.000 so pretty much done, will probably leave it a few days and bottle at the weekend....

Tasting nice, on the tangy/tart side, glad I have the E950 on there 😀

Clearing/carbing up well....

Wee deposit (couple of mm if that) collecting at the bottom of each bottle and plastic bottles becoming firm to the squeeze. First 20cm or so has cleared from the top.

I'm expecting to be able to sample the finished product by the 'weekend' 😀

OK so last night was almost the weekend so cheeky taste time....

Liking it !

Sampling another couple tonight just to make sure.....

Taste is very nice, definitely get rhubarb and the Mrs got the ginger straight off.

Not crystal clear but translucent, maybe down to the juice I used but it has cleared as much as it's going to I reckon 😀

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AqD9OOcGhwessGeIa_zQS7IuXFsm

OK so last night was almost the weekend so cheeky taste time....

Liking it !

Sampling another couple tonight just to make sure.....

Taste is very nice, definitely get rhubarb and the Mrs got the ginger straight off.

Not crystal clear but translucent, maybe down to the juice I used but it has cleared as much as it's going to I reckon [emoji3]

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AqD9OOcGhwessGeIa_zQS7IuXFsm

Might have to give this one a go Roddy [emoji106]

Yum... not had any of these for a few days and really liking the tang of this one... 🎶 tasty, tasty, very very tasty, it's very tasty, it's very tasty 🎶 😎

Yum... not had any of these for a few days and really liking the tang of this one... [emoji445] tasty, tasty, very very tasty, it's very tasty, it's very tasty [emoji445] [emoji41]

Served with a portion of bran flakes !?

Back