Brewnight: Strawberry and Lime TC

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would say it won't carb if it's been in to 17 days. It needs about a day after it's finished fermenting to clear some of the way. If in doubt just straight in the bottle with priming sugar. If sediment is a concern just leave it a month to go solid.

I say this as I have done a few and my latest prosecco didn't carb as I left it 48 hours to settle. I opened the bottles put a bit more sugar and some yeast directly in the bottles. Gonna leave it 2 weeks to see if it Does. That's 12 litres. If it doesn't I will make another 4 litres, when it has nearly stopped fermenting I won't clear it at all but mix it with the 12 litres and sugar (just enough for 4litrds as there will be sugar in the original 12) and bottle immediately. That way I know I have viable yeast in there.

Can anyone tell me what adding a tea mix does to this? Thinking of making this but halfing the quantity and using 1kg of freshly picked cherries I have.

Cheers

Tea adds tannin which is found in the fruit skins, I always add the tea but not tried without for a comparison.
Some say they don't notice a difference but for the cost of a few teabags I just stick with it.

Third time out for this bad boy... a winning recipe (in my book anyway)

Stuff
16L tesco cheapo AJ (65p per litre)
3 x Lowicz Strawberry (1 for priming)
Juice of 5 fresh limes
1L strong tea (5bag) stewed for 15mins
5tsp pectolase dissolved in a cup of warm water
Sachet of cider yeast with sweetener (E950) from eBay

How
Bung AJ into clean, sanitised FV
Bung in Lowicz (x2)
Tea goes in
Pectolase in
Give it a good stir
Take hydrometer reading (1.040)
Sprinkle yeast on top
Put in cupboard
Temp approx 22deg

So, reckon about 5.97% abv (including priming syrup)

Sorted 😃

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Does this have to be cider yeast or can I use any brewing yeast. I have a spare sachet from a porter kit.

K

So I've gone with the yeast sachet I had. Read a bit online and the results are mixed, although cider or champagne yeast will munch all the sugar giving you a dry finish, hence the back sweetening afterwards

I mixed 10l Tesco apple juice
1 bottle of lowicz syrup raspberry
1kg of fresh cherries (pitted mashed & heated 15 mins)
3teabags stewed in 750ml of water.
I.5 teaspoons of pectalose
Sachet of American ale yeast.

Hydrometer reading is 1052.

Taste great already. Now left to ferment. Will add more lowicz before bottling.

Cheers

img_20180713_175145810-jpg.14440

Attachments

• IMG_20180713_175145810.jpg
    IMG_20180713_175145810.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 629
Last edited by a moderator:
Third time out for this bad boy... a winning recipe (in my book anyway)

Stuff
16L tesco cheapo AJ (65p per litre)
3 x Lowicz Strawberry (1 for priming)
Juice of 5 fresh limes
1L strong tea (5bag) stewed for 15mins
5tsp pectolase dissolved in a cup of warm water
Sachet of cider yeast with sweetener (E950) from eBay

How
Bung AJ into clean, sanitised FV
Bung in Lowicz (x2)
Tea goes in
Pectolase in
Give it a good stir
Take hydrometer reading (1.040)
Sprinkle yeast on top
Put in cupboard
Temp approx 22deg

So, reckon about 5.97% abv (including priming syrup)

Sorted 😃

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Hi, did you add any water to it ? Done mine today and got OG 1.060

So I can now confirm that ale yeast seems to have no problems fermenting this TC. Got down to about 1.004 now so I'm guessing two more days I will be at zero.

It obviously tastes dry and needs back sweetening. Just tried the trial jar with some strawberry ribina and I guess the whole bottle will do (sugar free) I will add when I batch prime with 100gms of priming sugar (I have 20 liters)

Thanks Roddy

Should have read this through to the end regarding priming. I bottled mine up last night, it had been 17 days in the DJ and getting quite clear. As I'd only done a gallon I bottle primed it by adding about 8-9ml of Lowicz to each 500ml bottle. Hoping it will carb up but won't know until I try it. Oh well, I'm not averse to a still cider anyway. Also did a straight turbo cider to which I added two Cooper's carb drops to each bottle so will be interesting to see how that compares.

Both tasted good, quite sharp as I used a CML cider yeast so no sweetener. May add a little Lowicz or sugar syrup when serving it if it's a bit too tangy.

I do enjoy doing these small batches of stuff alongside the beer. Cheap and fun to experiment with :nod:

Tried the first bottle of each last weekend and was pleasantly surprised with the escape of CO2 when I uncapped the bottles and it poured fizzy so did carb up abigt

Not bad either, bit sharp for the missus tastes but I thought it was good. Will add a bit of sugar syrup or Lowicz to hers next time.

I tried a bottle tonight after 12 days carbonating. I may have over done it with the sugar as it was so fizzy it erupted everywhere!

Taste was good but a little dry. I'm hoping will improve after a few weeks in the garage.

Back