The brew house is go!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That I didn't know...

I'm going to pay duty on the whole batch so would that be the issue sorted?

Otherwise, could I brew my own stuff in the garden?

If you didn't know that then you will need to read all of the rules and regulations about what you can and cannot do. You will also need meticulous record keeping and probably need to keep separate records of ingredient purchases for brewery and personal use. Sounds like a real pain in the neck!

Any plans for drainage, inevitably will be getting some spillage?

Ultimately I want to put a floor drain in but it's currently not in the Budget. I'm going to get some strong paint for the floor so I can mop.

I've got a drain in a sink I'm installing which goes straight into the main house drains though so I can pour a fair bit of stuff away.

I'll also need a council waste contract I imagine...

Just keeps adding up.

I think you'd have to technically declare your whole house and Garden as a duty suspension zone in order to consume any beer brewed in your brewhouse. And keep accurate record of what grain and beer goes where. Daft as it sounds, if you only registered the brewhouse, then carrying a pint into your lounge would be removing it from the brewery and therefore subject to duty.

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

I think you'd have to technically declare your whole house and Garden as a duty suspension zone in order to consume any beer brewed in your brewhouse. And keep accurate record of what grain and beer goes where. Daft as it sounds, if you only registered the brewhouse, then carrying a pint into your lounge would be removing it from the brewery and therefore subject to duty.

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

I definitely believe it!

I don't want to give the impression I've no clue. I'm hoping that I get get things moving properly in the next couple of months. Can't really make anymore progress until I get my UTR from HMRC.

Right, insulation done (apart from ceiling) and a bit more work on the wiring.

IMG_20170717_185050.jpg

Where is you're waste water going? You'll have to pay for that to go down the drain. As you said you'll have to declare your trade waste as you can't put it in your domestic. .even though it ends up in the same place! Might have been mentioned...food hygiene quals, due diligence incase you inadvertently try to poison someone...Any neighbours to consider? Planning permission? Change of use? If you employ even one person you'll have to offer them a pension....
It's amazing the trouble that yeast causes...

Where is you're waste water going? You'll have to pay for that to go down the drain. As you said you'll have to declare your trade waste as you can't put it in your domestic. .even though it ends up in the same place! Might have been mentioned...food hygiene quals, due diligence incase you inadvertently try to poison someone...Any neighbours to consider? Planning permission? Change of use? If you employ even one person you'll have to offer them a pension....
It's amazing the trouble that yeast causes...

Indeed! Going to speak to environmental health re waste process but definitely need to set up waste contract. I don't think it'll be that expensive for the volumes I'm dealing with.

Due diligence is something I'll need to look into but its something I can get help with.

I have 1 couple next door but I'm only planning to brew twice a month so will likely be only as much environmental impact as a super keen homebrewer.

Just me employees wise. Only a little side project really.

Indeed! Going to speak to environmental health re waste process but definitely need to set up waste contract. I don't think it'll be that expensive for the volumes I'm dealing with.

Due diligence is something I'll need to look into but its something I can get help with.

I have 1 couple next door but I'm only planning to brew twice a month so will likely be only as much environmental impact as a super keen homebrewer.

Just me employees wise. Only a little side project really.

As far as waste grain goes, just find a small holder with chickens and pigs and your sorted, trust me.

Nice one.. fwiw my brewshed at just under 8ft square after the insulation battons and plasterboard was a right pig to manovour the boards in without destroying the corners ;)

Mine is 8 by 16 so it was very snug. Resorted to half boards at a time for the ceiling in the end

This project looks awesome.
What is your 200L set up going to be? Braumeister?
Looking forward to updates.

Building a three vessel herms set up. Buying the 200l pots from Bridgewater brewing. Looking forward to building it!

Oh, yes. I think I read that on another brewhouse thread.

Good luck with the brewery.
If you are near Leeds I will support your enterprise by turning up and buying beer. :smile:

Latest posts

Back