Filtering from fv to corny keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have filtered with gravity through 10 micron filter like the O/P and it worked just fine. I sterilised everything but the filter (it comes sealed) and the beer was fine but I'd be curious about how the O/P gets on.

I have filtered with gravity through 10 micron filter like the O/P and it worked just fine. I sterilised everything but the filter (it comes sealed) and the beer was fine but I'd be curious about how the O/P gets on.

From what I've seen, you can wash the filter off and reuse them. Is this correct?

From what I've seen, you can wash the filter off and reuse them. Is this correct?

I've only done it once and discarded the filter. Filters are only a few pounds each so maybe not worth spoiling a full brew to save pennies. You can't really sterilise the filter either, only the housing as the filter would filter out the sterilising particles. I'm not sure if the filters are actually sterile but they are sealed and I never had problems.

I placed the FV on top of a larder fridge. Set my filter on a table and then put a clean FV on the floor. It worked surprisingly well if a little slow via gravity. Not sure if the size of the filter would make a difference and whether a .5 micron filter would clog up.

I've been thinking for some time on speedy brews. I've thought about using a notts yeast at a warm temperature (22°- 24°) and then filtering through a half micron filter into a corny and quick carbing. When I get my C02 bottle refilled I'll probably do this and make a post on it.

I've been thinking for some time on speedy brews. I've thought about using a notts yeast at a warm temperature (22°- 24°) and then filtering through a half micron filter into a corny and quick carbing. When I get my C02 bottle refilled I'll probably do this and make a post on it.[/QUOTE]
I am thinking along the same lines but I think I will ferment in a corny keg under about15-30psi pressure, that way you can ferment at higher temperatures with no off flavour from esters that you would normally get from high temp fermentation

I've been thinking for some time on speedy brews. I've thought about using a notts yeast at a warm temperature (22°- 24°) and then filtering through a half micron filter into a corny and quick carbing. When I get my C02 bottle refilled I'll probably do this and make a post on it.
I am thinking along the same lines but I think I will ferment in a corny keg under about15-30psi pressure, that way you can ferment at higher temperatures with no off flavour from esters that you would normally get from high temp fermentation[/QUOTE]

I never thought about esters but even brewing at 18° a Notts yeast should chew through the brew in a few days. I was gonna chill @ 1° for 24 hours to cold crash before kegging. Carbing takes 20 minutes when quick carbed, I've done it many times before, actually the reason I need to fill my C02 bottle was because I slow carbed my last brew and had a leak :doh:

I am thinking along the same lines but I think I will ferment in a corny keg under about15-30psi pressure, that way you can ferment at higher temperatures with no off flavour from esters that you would normally get from high temp fermentation

I never thought about esters but even brewing at 18° a Notts yeast should chew through the brew in a few days. I was gonna chill @ 1° for 24 hours to cold crash before kegging. Carbing takes 20 minutes when quick carbed, I've done it many times before, actually the reason I need to fill my C02 bottle was because I slow carbed my last brew and had a leak :doh:[/QUOTE]
i suppose the main advantage of fermenting under pressure with higher temps is you can use any yeast but speed up the times the beer is in the fermenter
I am interested to see if fermenting under pressure is better for making clone beers like the bigger brewers make, I have a idea that by adding a some pressure to the fermentation it will be more like in a brewery, the extra pressure might replicate the weight of gallons of beer pressurising the yeast in the huge vats they use

So I didn't ever try this as didn't wanna risk it not working after I set it all up,
What I'm thinking now is , leave in fv for 3 weeks, transfer into corny by bottom tap on fv and long hose, then use co2 to filter back into fv and then step one again transfer filtered beer into cleaned corny, obviously I'll try and minimise oxygen contact whilst doing this.

Any thoughts

So I didn't ever try this as didn't wanna risk it not working after I set it all up,
What I'm thinking now is , leave in fv for 3 weeks, transfer into corny by bottom tap on fv and long hose, then use co2 to filter back into fv and then step one again transfer filtered beer into cleaned corny, obviously I'll try and minimise oxygen contact whilst doing this.

Any thoughts
If you fill the corny kegs with starsan, seal the keg with its lid,then push the starsan out with CO2 that will create a non oxygen environment, then you could do the same again with a second corny keg, filter the beer between the corny kegs using CO2 to push the beer through the filter to the second corny keg

If you fill the corny kegs with starsan, seal the keg with its lid,then push the starsan out with CO2 that will create a non oxygen environment, then you could do the same again with a second corny keg, filter the beer between the corny kegs using CO2 to push the beer through the filter to the second corny keg

Only have one empty corny, hence this issue, Last time I didn't try it cos I just bought a new corny instead but I filled it with an ipa,

Back